You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod won’t play music stored on my iPhone

my HomePod won’t play any music stored on my phone; or recognise that I even have a music library in the Music App [or playlists] It keeps trying to stream music from the net. Can it play music directly from my phone?, if so, what voice command should I use? Thanks! [my iOS is up-to-date]

Posted on Jan 14, 2023 11:08 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2023 11:14 PM

You will need to AirPlay music from your iPhone to HomePod, rather than get HomePod to pull it from your iPhone.

See Play audio from iPhone on HomePod and other wireless speakers.

You could also use Siri to do this: Use Siri to play music on iPhone.

4 replies

Jan 15, 2023 2:19 AM in response to David McKinlay

Thanks for clarifying David 👍; wish I hadn’t bought the HomePod now - I have plenty of other speakers around the house that I airplay my playlists too, and bought the homepod for the added functionality of voice-control access to my playlists on a speaker. Feels like Apple are using the HomePod to tempt people towards their subscription service - which would be fine if they were more up-front in the product description.

Jan 15, 2023 4:12 AM in response to Russ Eley

It might not be useful for your primary purpose at the moment but you may get to like it. For those with an Apple Music subscription it will stream the music directly from Apple, or if you have bought music from the iTunes store also.

I use mine with my Home app and devices around the house, and to intercom to other HomePods i the house, to which end I'll eventually pick up a few more HomePod Minis.

There are a number of other uses - we use it daily in the kitchen to set timers and to use voice to send emails and texts. It can also continue a phone conversation as a speaker from an iPhone, or return it to the phone.

HomePod won’t play music stored on my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.