You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Facetime not showing video of caller

My wife and I have identical iPhone SE, gen2 2020. Latest iOS, iOS 16.1.2, same settings (as far as I can determine), when people call her on FaceTime, or she calls out using FaceTime app she does not receive the other person's video feed, it only shows up with the initials of the person calling (or being called). They can see her video, she can not see their's. If she shuts her phone off and then turns it on again, it works OK for a few calls, then it goes back to no video.

If she initiates the call from the address book, rather than the FaceTime app she gets the video.

I have logged her out, logged in again, logged her out, deleted the app from the phone, restarted the phone - downloaded the app, signed her in and the issue persists.

I have no trouble with mine.

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.

iPhone SE

Posted on Jan 15, 2023 2:03 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2023 10:40 AM

Hi Svenskapojken,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that your wife is having an issue with using FaceTime on her iPhone. We'd like to help.

Does she notice that this happens on both Wi-Fi and cellular or just one network? This can help isolate the issue a bit more so we can present the most up to date steps to help.

From what you've shared already, we see that both your devices are iOS 16.1.2. There has been an update and it's always recommended that you update when a new iOS is available as it may resolve issues like this. Please go ahead and follow these steps before so we can ensure it's not an issue with the current software on her iPhone causing this issue.

Update your iPhone or iPad wirelessly
1. Back up your device using iCloud or your computer.
2. Plug your device into power and connect to the internet with Wi-Fi.
3. Go to Settings > General, then tap Software Update.
4. If you see more than one software update option available, choose the one that you want to install.
The Settings app on iPhone showing options to update to iOS 15.7 or iOS 16.

5. Tap Install Now. If you see Download and Install instead, tap it to download the update, enter your passcode, then tap Install Now. If you don't know your passcode, learn what to do.

Let us know how that goes.

Cheers!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 17, 2023 10:40 AM in response to Svenskapojken

Hi Svenskapojken,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that your wife is having an issue with using FaceTime on her iPhone. We'd like to help.

Does she notice that this happens on both Wi-Fi and cellular or just one network? This can help isolate the issue a bit more so we can present the most up to date steps to help.

From what you've shared already, we see that both your devices are iOS 16.1.2. There has been an update and it's always recommended that you update when a new iOS is available as it may resolve issues like this. Please go ahead and follow these steps before so we can ensure it's not an issue with the current software on her iPhone causing this issue.

Update your iPhone or iPad wirelessly
1. Back up your device using iCloud or your computer.
2. Plug your device into power and connect to the internet with Wi-Fi.
3. Go to Settings > General, then tap Software Update.
4. If you see more than one software update option available, choose the one that you want to install.
The Settings app on iPhone showing options to update to iOS 15.7 or iOS 16.

5. Tap Install Now. If you see Download and Install instead, tap it to download the update, enter your passcode, then tap Install Now. If you don't know your passcode, learn what to do.

Let us know how that goes.

Cheers!

Facetime not showing video of caller

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.