You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple watch pausing or quitting walking activity

Greetings all: My apple watch is periodically pausing or quitting my walking app. Seems to work 3 or 4 days fine, then keeps dropping or pausing the next time I am out for a walk, without my iphone in range. Does not do it when I am inside on the ellipitical (phone near). I would not think it is a unpair--pair error since my phone reads my steps and calories when I get back

Thank you for any help

Frustrated

Apple Watch

Posted on Jan 15, 2023 6:02 PM

2 replies

Jan 17, 2023 12:49 PM in response to jeroldw502

Hey there jeroldw502,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. Just to confirm, does this issue occur when there is a period of inactivity during your workout? If so, you can disable the setting that reminds you to end your workout which can cause workouts to pause by going into Settings app on your Apple Watch, tap Workout, then go to End Workout Reminder.

Check out this link for more details: Get reminders to end your workout - Apple Support

Get reminders to end your workout
In watchOS 5 or later, when your Apple Watch senses that you're done working out, it taps you on the wrist and asks. Tap the notification to end or pause the workout, or dismiss the notification and keep working out. If you don’t respond to the notification or you dismiss it, your workout continues until you choose to end or pause.

How long it takes for your watch to notice that you've stopped varies by workout type.

To turn this setting on or off, open the Settings app on your Apple Watch, tap Workout, then go to End Workout Reminder.

Also during walks, be sure that your arms swing naturally, as the Activity app relies on arm motion and an accelerometer to track movement.

You can find this and more information about getting the most accurate measurement from your Apple Watch at this link here: Get the most accurate measurements using your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Keep us updated on the results.

Have a great day!

Apple watch pausing or quitting walking activity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.