You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Runing out the space in my mac hd when the files are in onedrive cloud - impossible to work for a month

I have a macbook pro with 1TB and most of my files are in onedrive cloud, but I run out of space, the more I free, the less I have. I moved files to a usb driver but this is not a solution. I keep the cloud so I can use them only when necessary, my disc should not show as used space. The computer is shared then the problems replicate to other users. I went through the folders and despite were all put to free up space, not only the space is not available as it is diminished every day. Could anyone help me? I have a 2.3GHZ 8-core i9 16GB ram and a ssd 17 and I run Catalina 10.15.7 due some applicatications I have to finish a mastering dissertation. Most of files are doc, pdf, jpg, nef and xls. Keep everything simple, no games, only applications for use in photography or at dissertation. MS office, adobe photoshop and lightroom and a paper manager for university research at libraries.

MacBook Pro 16″, 10.15

Posted on Jan 16, 2023 8:06 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2023 8:11 AM

Files in OneDrive, iCloud, etc. do not free up space on your internal drive. They provide file synchronization. You need to get an external SSD and move files to it.

See these instructions: Free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies

Jan 16, 2023 8:45 AM in response to faschneider

faschneider wrote:

Actually they do. There is still an option in finder when you goes through files, you can have it only in computer, both (cloud and computer) and only in cloud (download if you need ) there is no sense in contract a cloud storage otherwise. It is clear in both vendors, apple and Microsoft. I need MS as I have to exchange files with other people who have windows.

OK. Maybe you should read this: iCloud - Apple

Or, maybe for Onedrive assistance try the Microsoft Help Communities: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Jan 16, 2023 8:23 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Actually they do. There is still an option in finder when you goes through files, you can have it only in computer, both (cloud and computer) and only in cloud (download if you need ) there is no sense in contract a cloud storage otherwise. It is clear in both vendors, apple and Microsoft. I need MS as I have to exchange files with other people who have windows.

Runing out the space in my mac hd when the files are in onedrive cloud - impossible to work for a month

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.