You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone screen randomly turns black and has a spinning wheel on it

Hi! My iPhone 8 Plus is on ios 16.2 and sometimes the screen goes black and all I see is a spinning wheel and after some time it takes me to the lockscreen. I also checked the battery and it’s on 83%

Posted on Jan 16, 2023 11:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2023 10:12 PM

I’ve experienced the same occasionally on my iPhone 11, and I can say that the phone wasn’t power off. The spinning wheel only appears for a few seconds, and my apps are remaining running in the background.😂

2 replies

Jan 17, 2023 6:07 PM in response to Esztimucus

Hello Esztimucus,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

We were able to find this:

Preventing unexpected shutdowns
With a low battery state of charge, a higher chemical age, or colder temperatures, users are more likely to experience unexpected shutdowns. In extreme cases, shutdowns can occur more frequently, thereby rendering the device unreliable or unusable. For iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE (1st generation), iPhone 7, and iPhone 7 Plus, iOS dynamically manages performance peaks to prevent the device from unexpectedly shutting down so that the iPhone can still be used. This performance management feature is specific to iPhone and does not apply to any other Apple products. Starting with iOS 12.1, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X include this feature; iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR include this feature starting with iOS 13.1. Learn about performance management on iPhone 11 and later. The effects of performance management on these newer models may be less noticeable due to their more advanced hardware and software design.

More details can be found here: iPhone Battery and Performance

It may be best to reach out to Apple directly.

You can do so by going to Get Support.

They will take a closer look and check on available options.

Cheers!

iPhone screen randomly turns black and has a spinning wheel on it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.