You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Macbook Air M2 keyboard longevity

I purchased the new Macbook Air M2 in Midnight and the keyboard is already wearing. I use it daily for work, and in the short months that I have owned it the matte coating on some of the keys is already started to wear. I'm left with a few shiny ones and a shiny spot on the space bar where my thumb hits it.

I purchased cleaner and clean it frequently but it's permanent at this point. Is there anything I can do to restore it?

I have a late 2013 model Macbook Pro and the keyboard is still completely intact like the day I bought it. Never had it ware on me...

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air

Posted on Jan 16, 2023 12:29 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2023 9:07 AM

Hello!

Sadly I have the same problem with my Mac bought only a month ago, I use the Mac every day for work (management work) I send e-mails, use management programmes....

I have not used any cleaning product, I am very careful about cleaning and good use of the Mac.

As you can see from the picture, as also happened to cloudystarss the space bar on the keyboard is worn and some keys are starting to become shiny.

I am sorry to see this problem on a top-of-the-range product.

What can I do to avoid smooth keys that are ugly to look at and uncomfortable to use in the near future?

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 1, 2023 9:07 AM in response to cloudystarss

Hello!

Sadly I have the same problem with my Mac bought only a month ago, I use the Mac every day for work (management work) I send e-mails, use management programmes....

I have not used any cleaning product, I am very careful about cleaning and good use of the Mac.

As you can see from the picture, as also happened to cloudystarss the space bar on the keyboard is worn and some keys are starting to become shiny.

I am sorry to see this problem on a top-of-the-range product.

What can I do to avoid smooth keys that are ugly to look at and uncomfortable to use in the near future?

Jan 16, 2023 2:01 PM in response to cloudystarss

Cleaners are very iffy in many cases. I've at one point tried to post suggestions about cleaners only to be asked not to post such suggestions here.

The main problem is that electronics are sensitive to water, grease, salt, sugar, and foods.

If the function of your keys is not hampered, and it is only an aesthetic problem, I would not make the problem worse by trying to add anything to it.

There is some accident coverage under AppleCare Plus if there is damage.

But if you aren't covered under that, and your homeowners insurance doesn't cover such damage, and it isn't working, your best bet is to get an external keyboard and mouse.

Even Windows keyboards will work, though the keyboard sequence is different than an Apple with the Windows logo key representing the command key, and the alt-key representing the Option key.

We hope you haven't seriously damaged the internal components by what you have done already, but we are just end users here with Apple moderation.

Keep your hands both washed and dry before using the keyboard or trackpad, and touch a surface that is grounded before touching the computer keyboard or trackpad if you have recently moved your space.

Mar 2, 2023 6:27 PM in response to Daveportugal

There are plastic "skins" that are designed for specific models that you can use to protect the keys.

As I mentioned before:

Food, water, drink, are big no-nos.

Clean and dry your hands before using the keyboard.

Do not leave in a room with high moisture.

Shut down when traveling outdoors and not in use, because the heat difference can cause condensation.

New Macbook Air M2 keyboard longevity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.