You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

install Monterey

I got a new Apple Mac M1 Studio (the smaller one) with 16 RAM

After doing the apple automatic transfer/install (only the system) from my Mac Pro, I lost most of my emails. I use pop3 and only got 6 months of old emails.

Is there a way to transfer/copy the older mails? Not one archive/garbage folder but with the old subfolders.

Mac Studio

Posted on Jan 16, 2023 7:38 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2023 9:31 PM

confetti wrote:

After doing the apple automatic transfer/install (only the system) from my Mac Pro, I lost most of my emails. I use pop3 and only got 6 months of old emails.
Is there a way to transfer/copy the older mails? Not one archive/garbage folder but with the old subfolders.

See highlighted text above from your post: did you run Migration Assistant? Did you migrate over your entire user account? If you did, all the emails should have come over. If they did not, you can move them from your backup in the user Library/Mail folder, inside another folder with a name like V8, V9, V10 etc. The highest numbered such "V" folder has all your emails. You can copy it over to the user/Library/Mail folder on your new Mac if you did not migrate everything properly.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 16, 2023 9:31 PM in response to confetti

confetti wrote:

See highlighted text above from your post: did you run Migration Assistant? Did you migrate over your entire user account? If you did, all the emails should have come over. If they did not, you can move them from your backup in the user Library/Mail folder, inside another folder with a name like V8, V9, V10 etc. The highest numbered such "V" folder has all your emails. You can copy it over to the user/Library/Mail folder on your new Mac if you did not migrate everything properly.

Jan 17, 2023 7:19 PM in response to confetti

I don't think you should do any of those things if you have already started using the new Mail (V9 folder).

First make a backup of your current V9 folder, you can make a copy of it and move the copy to a separate place.

Next, open Apple Mail, your current (new) one. Select File => Import Mailboxes ...

Next, follow the instructions to IMPORT from your V5 folder into your currently running Apple Mail. Additional instructions are here: Import or export mailboxes in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Also you can look in Apple Mail Help for similar instructions.

The imported messages from your V5 folder are in a new mailbox called Import in the Mail sidebar. You can drag folders and messages from the Import mailbox to new or existing mailboxes in your currently running Apple Mail, then once you are certain you are done, you can delete the Import mailbox. The old V5 mailboxes in the V5 folder will remain untouched.

Jan 17, 2023 8:01 PM in response to steve626

WOW, I am so happy, so lucky, so glad ... WOW

thanks and big hugs for this marvelous answer!!! It helps a lot.

Very good and precise explanation - and saving me from making a big mistake.

I love it.

This is the best place here for mac users. Wonderful people here.

So I am going to solve my biggest concern tomorrow morning.

(I had to use the new mail app because it took the mac about 5 days to migrate to the new mac. During this time I could not use mail and neither the old mac pro nor the new mac studio.)

There is no button "best answer" here, sorry. So I use helpful

THANKS again.

• - - - - - - - - -

After mail I will continue to work on my desktop problem (Question No.1 earlier). I understand, it is not possible to redirect the desktop to another drive. The astonishing part is, that it worked for a short time - until the mac did an automatic and not intended restart when waking up in the morning. I will try to "redirect" the desktop to my internal SSD again. At the moment it is still redirected to the external drive, which means, my background is not my desktop. :-( Thus I cannot use it.

Jan 17, 2023 6:53 AM in response to steve626

Thanks a lot, that was exactly what I was looking for.

The old one is v5

the new one is v9 w/o the old v5

In the meantime I already used the new mac mail app, incoming and sending, now I wonder: if I copy v5 and rename it to v9?

Or should I copy only the older mails from v5 into v9?

created date - or - modify date ...

I will compare the names of the newest folders in user-library-mail

and come back here.

Jan 17, 2023 8:51 AM in response to confetti

I cannot edit, see below

and: I have 64 RAM, not 16

-----------

Thanks a lot, that was exactly what I was looking for.

yes, I used the Migration Assistant

The old one is v5

the new one is v9 w/o the old v5

In the meantime I already used the new mac mail app, incoming and sending, now I wonder: if I copy v5 and rename it to v9?

Or should I copy only the older mails from v5 into v9?

created date - or - modify date ...

I did compare the names of the newest folders in user-library-mail

there are similar names - looks good

I could copy old to new via chronosync

I will start a test with just one small folder to test

I must admit, I had lots of subfolder in mail that were not used in the last 6 months and thus did not exist after moving, like xmas greetings, register of apps, etc.

So I created them manually, hope this does not make problems

then I will restart the mail for a refresh

Jan 17, 2023 9:19 PM in response to confetti

I followed the links to apple support and realised: it seems I got a wrong information from the helpdesk.

I asked whether I could _continue_ with the transfer to another mac after I started with the main subjects. I am not sure but it looks like I could have used utilities/Migration assistant to continue later.

Well, too late.

install Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.