You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPadOS 16.2

I have an iPad Pro 2nd generation (old I know, in tablet years). After I updated to 16.2 my iPad acted like it had been hit by a brick. The battery ran down at a visible rate - about 60% in half an hour. It randomly rebooted. Sometimes strong black lines appeared (vertical in landscape mode) before shutting down. Blank spaces appeared in web pages. These problem subsided after a couple of days. Battery draining is still an issue but is not life-threatening :)

There is one minor persistent symptom that might throw light on underlying problems: I do the word puzzle Quordle every day but not any more on my iPad. When I access quordle.com, I get the message about privacy and setting cookies and when I dismiss this I’m left with a blank white screen. It works fine in Firefox and Chrome but never in Safari. Other family members who have updated to 16.2 on new and old iPads don’t have this problem.

As I said, an answer to this problem might help be decide if the iPad is on its way out or if it will recover. Thanks.

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 2nd Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Jan 18, 2023 4:35 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2023 4:41 AM

Higher than usual battery utilisation is expected to occur for some hours, or possibly days, after performing a system software update. After updating, many background housekeeping processes will be running - including reindexing the file system. Nominal battery utilisation can be expected to return within a few days.

If you are experiencing very high battery utilisation, a process may have stalled. A forced-restart will usually clear a stuck/stalled process. To restart your iPad:

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

Force restart iPad (models with the Home button)

Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

If the problems persists, you might be well advised to seek assistance to seek from Apple Support - and request a remote diagnostic test. You can contact the Support Team using the Get Support link at top-right of this page. 

Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 18, 2023 4:41 AM in response to dadooq

Higher than usual battery utilisation is expected to occur for some hours, or possibly days, after performing a system software update. After updating, many background housekeeping processes will be running - including reindexing the file system. Nominal battery utilisation can be expected to return within a few days.

If you are experiencing very high battery utilisation, a process may have stalled. A forced-restart will usually clear a stuck/stalled process. To restart your iPad:

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

Force restart iPad (models with the Home button)

Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

If the problems persists, you might be well advised to seek assistance to seek from Apple Support - and request a remote diagnostic test. You can contact the Support Team using the Get Support link at top-right of this page. 

Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

IPadOS 16.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.