You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to avoid "Pop up helps"

when I click my mouse on/in any app or even creating a document, I constantly get pop ups like: Open Link in new tab, or back, reload page or save page as is, print page, etc.

takes several clicks to remove them so I can proceed with what I'm doing. becoming extremely,ely aggravating.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Jan 18, 2023 6:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2023 10:15 AM

Like this?:

If so, that is normal—a contextual menu (that example is gray because my computer is in Dark Mode). At default mouse settings It is activated by a right-click, or by holding CONTROL while clicking.

If restarting the computer does not change this, try:

First, see if something on your desk is holding down the CONTROL key on your keyboard. That has happens here before.

Second, go to System Preferences > Mouse and see if changing the setting for "Secondary Click" helps.

The worst case—I had a client suffer this—is the the keyboard's CONTROL key is stuck in the DOWN position. Most newer Apple keyboards cannot be opened for cleaning or maintenance so you may need a new keyboard. My client had spilled a sugary drink a few days before and thought he'd cleaned everything up. Nope. The syrupy remains of the drink turned to glue.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 18, 2023 10:15 AM in response to DnD8851

Like this?:

If so, that is normal—a contextual menu (that example is gray because my computer is in Dark Mode). At default mouse settings It is activated by a right-click, or by holding CONTROL while clicking.

If restarting the computer does not change this, try:

First, see if something on your desk is holding down the CONTROL key on your keyboard. That has happens here before.

Second, go to System Preferences > Mouse and see if changing the setting for "Secondary Click" helps.

The worst case—I had a client suffer this—is the the keyboard's CONTROL key is stuck in the DOWN position. Most newer Apple keyboards cannot be opened for cleaning or maintenance so you may need a new keyboard. My client had spilled a sugary drink a few days before and thought he'd cleaned everything up. Nope. The syrupy remains of the drink turned to glue.

how to avoid "Pop up helps"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.