You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview is password protecting all my PDF documents

I am filling out a form and each time I save it to send it off, it adds a password. I don't know what the password is, I did not set up a password protection on Preview. The computer is new and I had been sent a password protected document. I have tried that password and every password I use and still I cannot get the doc to open. I have filled it out 2 x and it is 19 pages long. Is there currently an error on Safari 16.1 and/or OS Ventura 13.01 or Preview. How can I remove the password in preview? Is there a code or something. Thank you for the help. I have never had this happen before.

MacBook Air

Posted on Jan 19, 2023 2:01 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jan 19, 2023 9:32 AM in response to LAmacker

As a test, you could try installing Adobe Reader. Then use it as the default PDF viewer to see if the problem is related to Preview or if the PDF files are to blame. I'm not aware of any default passwords for Preview. Did you try your login password perhaps when it asks for one? It might also just be that preview 'Thinks' it's password protected when it isn't.

Preview is password protecting all my PDF documents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.