You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have hundreds of videos that were taken on my iPhone in my photo library in my Mac mini. None of them will play.

I have hundreds of videos that were taken on my iPhone in my photo library in my Mac mini. None of them will play. What gives?

And what happened to, "It just works."

Mac mini, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 21, 2023 12:08 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2023 7:49 AM

Can you help with more detail? For instance, what happens when you try to play an old video? Do you see it in the Thumbnail view? Will it expand when you double click on on it? Will it open in Edit? Do you get an error message? What is the format of the video file-- mov, m4v, etc? Does this happen with all videos, or just old ones, or just some of them? Can you export a video file, and will the export play?

Where is your Photos Library stored? is it in your Pictures folder or on an external hard drive? If on an external drive, how is that drive formatted? Do you use iCloud to sync your devices? If so, do you have "Optimize Mac Storage" checked in Photos preferences? Is this your system library? Do you have "Copy Items" checked in Photos preferences?

Have you tried these things?

• Restart the computer (of course)
  • Rebuild your Photos Library--close Photos and re-launch by option-command-clicking the app icon.
  • Make a new user and see if the same problem recurs with it
  • Use another library if you have one, or make a small test Library with a few pictures in it and see if the same thing happens.
  • Start in Safe Mode (different for different computers) This bypasses certain potentially disruptive processes.

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support 

The idea is to find out if the problem is with the Library, with your account, with particular files, or with caches and login items, and stuff like that. One of these steps may fix the problem, but their failure to work is also diagnostic.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 22, 2023 7:49 AM in response to coopermon1

Can you help with more detail? For instance, what happens when you try to play an old video? Do you see it in the Thumbnail view? Will it expand when you double click on on it? Will it open in Edit? Do you get an error message? What is the format of the video file-- mov, m4v, etc? Does this happen with all videos, or just old ones, or just some of them? Can you export a video file, and will the export play?

Where is your Photos Library stored? is it in your Pictures folder or on an external hard drive? If on an external drive, how is that drive formatted? Do you use iCloud to sync your devices? If so, do you have "Optimize Mac Storage" checked in Photos preferences? Is this your system library? Do you have "Copy Items" checked in Photos preferences?

Have you tried these things?

• Restart the computer (of course)
  • Rebuild your Photos Library--close Photos and re-launch by option-command-clicking the app icon.
  • Make a new user and see if the same problem recurs with it
  • Use another library if you have one, or make a small test Library with a few pictures in it and see if the same thing happens.
  • Start in Safe Mode (different for different computers) This bypasses certain potentially disruptive processes.

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support 

The idea is to find out if the problem is with the Library, with your account, with particular files, or with caches and login items, and stuff like that. One of these steps may fix the problem, but their failure to work is also diagnostic.

I have hundreds of videos that were taken on my iPhone in my photo library in my Mac mini. None of them will play.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.