You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple devices not showing automatically what MY HomePod mini is playing

I have a super weird issue with music; when I am at somebody else house where a HomePod mini is playing, I get the current music showing up on my devices on the locked screen BUT when I would like this to be a reality in my home where I own a HomePod mini, this does not happen, I have to dig into the system to display what my HomePod mini is playing. WHY???? Why do I get stranger's playlists automatically displayed on my iPhone/iPad and not MINE?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Jan 21, 2023 1:59 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2023 1:54 PM

Ok try this:  Open Control Centre, tap the Now Playing tile, scroll down to Control Other Speakers & TVs, and select to connect. Then it should appear on Lock Screen to control

9 replies

Jan 24, 2023 6:16 PM in response to Thicot01

Hi Thicot01,

Thanks for getting back to us. It sounds like your friend is sharing access to the HomePod. You can read more about that here: Play audio on HomePod using an iOS or iPadOS device

"Allow others to control audio on HomePod

1. In the Home app on your iOS or iPadOS device, tap the Show Homes button, then tap Home Settings.
  2. Note: If you have more than one home, you see settings for your current home (based on your location). To edit a different home, tap Homes, then tap the home you want to edit.
  3. Tap Allow Speaker & TV Access and choose one of the following options:
    • Everyone: Gives access to everyone nearby.
    • Anyone On the Same Network: Gives access to those connected to your Wi-Fi network.
    • Only People Sharing This Home: Gives access to those you’ve invited to share your home (in the Home app) and who are connected to your Wi-Fi network.

The setting you choose also controls who can add to the Playing Next queue for HomePod in the Music app and Podcasts app, and who can hand off audio to HomePod. If you have more than one HomePod, the option you choose applies to all of them.

Members of your home can access their own music from your HomePod. To learn more, see Set up Personal Requests."

Jan 24, 2023 8:07 AM in response to Thicot01

Hi Thicot01,

We'll be glad to look into this with you further. To start, we'll need to know exactly where you're seeing the content from your friend's HomePod on your device, and where you're expecting to see it on your device with your own HomePod.

In the meantime, here is an article showing how to play content using your HomePod: Play audio on HomePod using an iOS or iPadOS device - Apple Support

Cheers.

Jan 24, 2023 4:23 PM in response to jmarse1

Hi jmarse1,

here is the situation, I was not alone to witness the content playing on the HomePod mini, we were 3 people having the current content playing on our iPhones and we could actually control everything, one of our guest was so annoyed, she stopped the playing. We tried to disable the airplay options to no avail, the iPhones were persistently displaying the current song played on a "stranger's" HomePod. It was displayed the exact same way as when Music is playing a song locally, on the locked screen, full screen and within Music when the app was launched. I expected the same to happen when I was home with my own HomePod mini but no, it does not happen, I have to look for the app home and tap my HomePod mini to see the current song.

My issue is not to play a song from another device on an HomePod but displaying the current song from the HomePod on my other devices the same way it does when I am a guest at someone else's home without even requesting it!!!

Jan 25, 2023 8:02 AM in response to MichaelB2019

Well, again, I am not looking to playing music from an iPhone to a HomePod.

I would like to see the current song playing from the HomePod displayed on my home screen when I am in MY home with MY HomePod the same way it does when I am at my friend's house where people do not even have access to the friend's iCloud account!! It did work randomly but I wonder why it is so very random.

Apple devices not showing automatically what MY HomePod mini is playing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.