You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to I Restore the backup of a 256GB iPhone to a 128GB iPhone when I already have a 2 TB iCloud Account?

I previously had a 256GB iPhone XS (which I have already given away), and I have taken a backup for this on my MAC (which approximately 150GB).

I tried to Restore this backup onto an iPhone 11 of 128GB, but I was told I Do not have enough storage space.

HOWEVER I do have iCloud storage of 2TB (in which a lot of my content is backed up).

How do I restore the backup from my previous iPhone to the 128GB phone and use iCloud to fill the shortage in space??

iPhone XS

Posted on Jan 21, 2023 10:48 PM

1 reply

Jan 24, 2023 10:49 AM in response to saajid81

Hello saajid81,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. So we can clarify, are you trying to restore a 150GB onto a device with only 128GB of internal storage? If so, you currently have more data in your backup than your iPhone can accommodate. The amount of iCloud storage does not factor into your ability to restore your device with your current backup. You will not be able to restore more data than your device can hold. If you have another, smaller iCloud backup saved, you can restore using a smaller amount of data. Find the steps to locate any other backups you may have here:

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Let us know if you have any questions.

Best regards!

How to I Restore the backup of a 256GB iPhone to a 128GB iPhone when I already have a 2 TB iCloud Account?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.