You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting 'unable to collaborate' message; but I am not attempting to collaborate

In Keynote for the iPad, I am getting this message popping up as soon as I open the presentation. This is happening on one presentation only, but not every time I open it.

I am merely opening the presentation to show in my classroom. I am doing nothing, (as far as I know) to tell Keynote that I want to collaborate with anyone on this presentation. Where is the setting to turn this off?

iPad Air 4 Wi-Fi

Posted on Jan 23, 2023 3:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2023 6:40 PM

Hi augratin,

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities. We understand when you open Keynote you sometimes see a messages that says "Update to Collaborate". It appears this message is just letting you know an update is available and it allows you to collaborate with others if you'd like to utilize this feature. Once you update Keynote, you won't see this message anymore and you don't have to use the collaboration feature. Just select "Update Keynote Now" when you see this message in order to update. Or follow these steps:

1. Open the App Store.
  2. Tap your profile icon at the top of the screen.
  3. Scroll to see pending updates and release notes. Tap Update next to an app to update only that app, or tap Update All.

We hope this helps clarify things.

Take care.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 24, 2023 6:40 PM in response to augratin

Hi augratin,

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities. We understand when you open Keynote you sometimes see a messages that says "Update to Collaborate". It appears this message is just letting you know an update is available and it allows you to collaborate with others if you'd like to utilize this feature. Once you update Keynote, you won't see this message anymore and you don't have to use the collaboration feature. Just select "Update Keynote Now" when you see this message in order to update. Or follow these steps:

1. Open the App Store.
  2. Tap your profile icon at the top of the screen.
  3. Scroll to see pending updates and release notes. Tap Update next to an app to update only that app, or tap Update All.

We hope this helps clarify things.

Take care.

Jan 25, 2023 1:05 AM in response to Jeff_888

Just to restate: this is happening with only one out of my 200+ presentations. If it were a nag screen to get me to update, it would be happening when I open any presentation.

As for updating, my environment has to remain stable while I’m working. Any hardware or software configuration changes or version updates have to wait until an appropriate down time window arrives, just in case the update goes sour. This is standard procedure in any IT environment. I’ll be able to update the app in March because the iPad will have several weeks of non-use.

Getting 'unable to collaborate' message; but I am not attempting to collaborate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.