You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot decrease imessage Icloud space

I received the infamous "almost out of icloud storage" message. When checking, it turns out imessage is taking up most of it. So I did the due diligence of removing text messages manually. That didn't decrease the icloud space imessage was using. So then I changed the duration of imessage retention down to 30 days. Nothing changed. I have restarted the device multiple times (actually all my devices as I also have an iPad), but to no avail. I also hooked the phone up to iTunes to manually sync then back up the phone, but nothing is changing.

How can I reduce the space imessage takes up in icloud?

Thank you,

Roy

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on Jan 23, 2023 2:18 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Jan 25, 2023 12:38 PM in response to RoyTrek

Hello RoyTrek,

Thanks for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If you have set your messages to deleted after 30 days but haven't manually deleted the messages, it may be a good idea to look through the resource below to manage your iCloud storage manually.

Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

"Make more space available in iCloud

If you run out of iCloud storage, your device won’t back up to iCloud, new photos and videos won't upload to iCloud Photos, and iCloud Drive, other iCloud apps, and messages won't stay up to date across your devices. And you also won't be able to send or receive emails with your iCloud email address.

You can free up storage in iCloud by deleting content that you're not using:

Before you delete anything, you might want to archive or make copies of the information that you store in iCloud."

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Cannot decrease imessage Icloud space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.