You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing an unneeded partition on an external USB drive

I have an external drive that is formatted Mac OS Extended and partitioned into two sections, one that I use and one that I no longer use (and that I had hoped to use as a TimeMachine volume, though that never worked out). I would like to remove the partition and just use it as a single volume, but whenever I try to remove the unnecessary partition, I get an error message "could not unmount disk -69888". Nothing I have done to address this, including using Terminal commands to force unmount the disk, has worked. Any ideas? I don't want to lose the data on the partition that I use if at all possible.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 23, 2023 7:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2023 7:50 PM

You should never use the same external drive for file storage and Time Machine backups.

To prevent losing what is on that external drive, copy what you want to save to a second external drive. Then reformat that external drive and use it for Time Machine.

Similar questions

3 replies

Removing an unneeded partition on an external USB drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.