You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes is suddenly asking for credit card

I always use a gift card to purchase music. I used my gift card a month ago to purchase music. Today, iTunes is asking me to add a credit card even though I have close to $100 gift card balance.

A gift card is a valid payment and shouldn’t be asking me for a credit card.

Payment methods that you can use with your Apple ID - Apple Support

Why is iTunes asking for a credit card now?

Posted on Jan 26, 2023 4:55 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2023 7:25 PM

Without detailed knowledge of what you own and do, it is hard to give you a simple answer.

Having a subscription, being the Organizer in a Family sharing plan, owing money for a past purchase are among the reasons, including What you can buy with your Apple Gift Card or Apple Account balance - Apple Support

"Some purchases might require that you have a credit card on file, even if you use your Apple Account balance to make the purchase."

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 26, 2023 7:25 PM in response to -a-g-

Without detailed knowledge of what you own and do, it is hard to give you a simple answer.

Having a subscription, being the Organizer in a Family sharing plan, owing money for a past purchase are among the reasons, including What you can buy with your Apple Gift Card or Apple Account balance - Apple Support

"Some purchases might require that you have a credit card on file, even if you use your Apple Account balance to make the purchase."

iTunes is suddenly asking for credit card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.