You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issue with iMac Time Machine Backup

I have an iMac running Catalina and have been having issues with connecting to wi-fi so after a call with Apple Support I agreed to update to Ventura but before I do wanted to create a backup. I realised then that I had not done a backup since Oct - ok I know that's bad practice but I am where I am. However I have not made a lot of changes since then. The only thing adding space would be emails.

My time machine is a 1 TB disk split into 2 x 500 MB segments which I use for both my iMac and MacBook. There is 36GB available in the iMac segment.

When I try and run the back up it just sits there saying "Preparing Backup". I have left if for hours and there is not change and there are no error being created. I have started it and stopped it without success.

How do I find out what is going on and is there anything which I can do to make it complete. Is there enough space left to complete the backup.

Paul..

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 27, 2023 12:39 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2023 10:24 AM

How much free space do you have on your boot drive and on the TM drive?

I had better luck from the Safe Mode because I evidently had some 3rd party software that interferes with the installation so try the following:

#1 - boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3-5 minutes as it's doing the following; 
• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)
• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
• Disables user-installed fonts 
• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

#2 - go to the System/Software Update preference pane and begin the download.

#3 - run the installer from the Safe Mode.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 28, 2023 10:24 AM in response to pfaepeebles

How much free space do you have on your boot drive and on the TM drive?

I had better luck from the Safe Mode because I evidently had some 3rd party software that interferes with the installation so try the following:

#1 - boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3-5 minutes as it's doing the following; 
• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)
• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
• Disables user-installed fonts 
• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

#2 - go to the System/Software Update preference pane and begin the download.

#3 - run the installer from the Safe Mode.

Jan 28, 2023 2:31 AM in response to pfaepeebles

I left this running overnight and it has worked itself out and has completed the backup which is reassuring.

However, when I check for updates it is sitting their spinning showing Checking for Updates

It's been doing it for a few hours and I'm just going to leave it to see if it resolves itself

Is there anything which I can do to understand why it might be doing this.

Thanks

Issue with iMac Time Machine Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.