You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple mail disappearing

Hi all,

I would appreciate any guidance on how to deal with my Apple Mail issues. I have three accounts set up on Mail: icloud email set up as imap, comcast email set up as imap, and another comcast email set up as pop (no reason I know of as to why that one is pop). All the issues are on the comcast imap account, and here they are:

1) On the comcast imap account, when I delete an email, it doesn't go to trash. It's just gone. I can't undo the deletion and I can't find the email. On the other two account, it goes to the trash box associated with that account, and I can undo the deletion if I want.

2) I am getting hundreds of emails from a college alumnus group I belong to. I wanted to put them all in a separate folder to avoid clogging my inbox, and I could read them later. I clicked the little "plus" sign next to the Comcast account in the bar on the left side of Mail that lists my accounts in Mail. I created a new mailbox that is now listed along with inbox, drafts, sent, junk, trash for that Comcast account. However, when I drag an email from the inbox to that new box, it does disappear from the inbox, but it does not appear in the new college box.

If I use "ctrl-get info" for that comcast account, it says I have 249 messages in the trash, but I see none of them when I click on "show messages" or if I click on trash to see them. It says I have 25 in the newly created college mailbox, but it shows none when I click on "show messages" or click on the mailbox.

I called Apple and was told it was a problem with comcast and I should call them, but it sure seems like a software problem to me.

This is a 14 inch 2021 Macbook Pro M1 with 16GB RAM. I was running Monterey but updated to Ventura yesterday at the advice of the Apple support person. The update didn't change anything.

I would be very appreciative of any advice on how to pursue this problem. Thank you!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 27, 2023 2:31 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2023 6:36 AM

A$X wrote:

Hi all,
I would appreciate any guidance on how to deal with my Apple Mail issues. I have three accounts set up on Mail: icloud email set up as imap, comcast email set up as imap, and another comcast email set up as pop (no reason I know of as to why that one is pop). All the issues are on the comcast imap account, and here they are:

his is a 14 inch 2021 Macbook Pro M1 with 16GB RAM. I was running Monterey but updated to Ventura yesterday at the advice of the Apple support person. The update didn't change anything.

I would be very appreciative of any advice on how to pursue this problem. Thank you!

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.2

I would start there

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

For problem accounts the go to way to sort things out is to delete the account, then add it back.

Remove email accounts in Mail on Mac

Remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Add email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Note—

IMAP accounts stay on the server, so no local loss, when you re-sync

POP accounts download and remove from the server—therefor save your inbox/sent box if you want them

“On My Mac" is just that, local folders you created and moved mail into. So no loss

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 29, 2023 6:36 AM in response to A$X

A$X wrote:

Hi all,

his is a 14 inch 2021 Macbook Pro M1 with 16GB RAM. I was running Monterey but updated to Ventura yesterday at the advice of the Apple support person. The update didn't change anything.

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.2

I would start there

For problem accounts the go to way to sort things out is to delete the account, then add it back.

Remove email accounts in Mail on Mac

Remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Note—

IMAP accounts stay on the server, so no local loss, when you re-sync

POP accounts download and remove from the server—therefor save your inbox/sent box if you want them

“On My Mac" is just that, local folders you created and moved mail into. So no loss

Jan 29, 2023 8:24 PM in response to leroydouglas

Hi leroydouglas,

Thank you for the reply. I'm glad I checked, as I didn't get a notification. I will definitely try your suggestion after I read through the directions you sent.

I had been exploring what seemed to be an option to synchronize accounts, but it doesn't seem to do anything when I click on it.

I appreciate the warning re: the pop account. I'll fix that while I'm at it.

I will report back after I try your suggestions, probably in a few days.

Take care, and thank you again.

apple mail disappearing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.