You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Chrome and Youtube Apps has background activity even background refresh is turned off

I have turned off background app refresh for "YouTube" & "Chrome". But when I check activity inside Battery app, I can still see some background activity draining battery. My current OS version is IOS 16.1.

Can someone help why is this happening and anyway to stop it?

iPhone 12

Posted on Feb 3, 2023 11:12 PM

9 replies

Feb 7, 2023 5:54 AM in response to NThusitha

Google built their business on the lack of privacy for its users. It doesn't surprise me that these two apps are using power when you know that they shouldn't be. I'm positive that's not all they are using.

If it was me, I'd delete both of the apps and since you don't need an app to get on youtube, that one for sure.

Get your privacy back and save your battery, ditch Google.

Feb 7, 2023 5:11 AM in response to SravanKrA

Well this not the type of answer I am expecting. I have already asked this question in Google forum and no one replied yet. But if we disable "Background app refresh" and you see an app still sucking juice and it's shown under Battery app, I mean this is an iOS issue. Because either what iOS (16) shows inside the Battery app is not correct then or something fishy happening in the background which iOS does not account for.

You can find lot of similar issues online reported like these.

Anyone who knows technicality behind this can better answer I guess.

Chrome and Youtube Apps has background activity even background refresh is turned off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.