You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted Messages image attachments won't delete in iCloud

I'm running short of my free 5 GB storage on iCloud and have been trying to delete images from the messages app.

I have tried various suggestions made on this site to no avail.

Recently deleted files on iCould are deleted.

Mac is running Monterey, phone iOS 16.3, the Messages app is on my phone (iMessage is on and phone synced) and computer (enabled in iCloud and synced)

I would be most grateful for any suggestions that might help.

MacBook Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 5, 2023 8:56 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2023 3:49 PM

Hello boydooo,

Got it.

Just to confirm, are you following the below steps to delete the attachments: 

Delete multiple attachments from a contact or conversation
1. In a message conversation, tap the contact's name at the top of the screen.
2. Tap Info .
3. In the Photos section, tap See All. 
4. Tap Select, tap the images you'd like to delete.
5. Tap Delete, then tap Delete Attachment to confirm. 

If so, let’s next go into photos and empty the recently deleted folder. Normally, deleted photos are kept from 30 days to allow time to recover the photo if it was deleted by mistake. By manually deleting them, you will immediately remove them. You can do that following the steps below: 

Recover deleted photos or videos
1.    Open Photos and tap the Albums tab.
2.    Tap the Recently Deleted album under Utilities.
3.    In iOS 16, iPadOS 16.1, or later, use Face ID or Touch ID to unlock your Recently Deleted album.
4.    Tap Select.

From here, you can select photos to recover or you can delete all. If you delete all, they will be gone from your devices, and your account permanently.  

Kindest regards. 

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 7, 2023 3:49 PM in response to boydooo

Hello boydooo,

Got it.

Just to confirm, are you following the below steps to delete the attachments: 

Delete multiple attachments from a contact or conversation
1. In a message conversation, tap the contact's name at the top of the screen.
2. Tap Info .
3. In the Photos section, tap See All. 
4. Tap Select, tap the images you'd like to delete.
5. Tap Delete, then tap Delete Attachment to confirm. 

If so, let’s next go into photos and empty the recently deleted folder. Normally, deleted photos are kept from 30 days to allow time to recover the photo if it was deleted by mistake. By manually deleting them, you will immediately remove them. You can do that following the steps below: 

Recover deleted photos or videos
1.    Open Photos and tap the Albums tab.
2.    Tap the Recently Deleted album under Utilities.
3.    In iOS 16, iPadOS 16.1, or later, use Face ID or Touch ID to unlock your Recently Deleted album.
4.    Tap Select.

From here, you can select photos to recover or you can delete all. If you delete all, they will be gone from your devices, and your account permanently.  

Kindest regards. 

Feb 7, 2023 2:11 PM in response to boydooo

Hello boydooo,

It might take some time to sync those deletions to iCloud if you use iCloud for Messages. If it has been some time and the storage still hasn't updated, try restarting both devices depending on where you deleted the attachments from:

Take care and stay safe.

Deleted Messages image attachments won't delete in iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.