You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are iMac 24" M1 displayes calibrated

Hi Everyone... I hope you;re having a good day.

I am a photographer and recently made the transition from PC to Mac. Got myself a new 24" M1 iMac. I am really happy with the performance and interface.

But I am having a bit of an issue.

I am trying to find out how filial the colours of the display are. AS a photographer, I need them to be neutral, but am not sure is the iMac colour profile, or any of the other one's, have calibrated colours.

I have gone through the native Calibration Program where you can change a round a few things, but I have to rely on my eyes for that. (I did this with True tone and Night Shift and Automatic Brightness turned off)

I wanted to ask if there is any information whether iMac colour profile has neutral/calibrated RGB colors, or if any other profile has it. If not, how can I calibrate them, or at the very least, neutralize them.

(I hope this makes sense.)

Thanks for you time.

iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021, 2 ports)

Posted on Feb 8, 2023 6:19 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Feb 11, 2023 9:37 AM in response to rilo1990

Hello rilo1990,

If you want to change the default color profile on your Mac, you can use these steps:

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Settings, then click Displays in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.)
2. Click the pop-up menu next to “Color profile” on the right, then choose the profile you want to use.

Change your Mac display’s color profile

If you want to create a custom color profile, you can do so with these steps:

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Settings, then click Displays  in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.)
2. Click the pop-up menu next to “Color profile” on the right, then choose Customize. The color profile for your display and a list of other color profiles appears.
3. Click the Add button to open Display Calibrator Assistant.

Calibrate your Mac display

Cheers!

Feb 14, 2023 6:41 PM in response to rilo1990

No display 'out of the box' is calibrated in the sense of what you can achieve with a colorimeter like a Datacolor SpyderX or a Calibrite Colorchecker Display Pro. If you want true display calibration, you need to get one of those products.

That said, IMHO, iMac displays have always been impressively good and don't need much tweaking. There is a built-in Display Calibrator Assistant that you can use for a basic set of adjustments. The method of accessing it has changed from time to time - if you use the link I provided above, be sure to select the version of macOS that you are using in order to get the appropriate instructions.

You could also use the Lagom monitor test images to assist in your manual adjustments.

For the best calibration results, however, you should use one of the colorimeters.

Feb 14, 2023 2:49 PM in response to Jaym_8

Dear Jaym_8

Thank you for your reply, but as I stated in my post I have already tried these two methods and they are not what I am after.

Color profile does change the profile, but does not stipulate if any of the profiles are color calibrated.

Calibration option does calibrate, but only illumination and gamma, not colours.

I would just like to know if there is a color profile on the new iMac which had calibrated colors.

Feb 14, 2023 3:07 PM in response to rilo1990

Hello Jaym_8,

Your Mac should come calibrate. If you need help, please check our articles. They cover the macOS, while each individual computer might have different settings. You need to use the article, and check the options available in the Settings the articles point you to.

View color profiles in ColorSync Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Check and repair color profiles in ColorSync Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Those two articles should get you started, if they do not answer your question, check the options, and follow on help articles. Thanks.

Are iMac 24" M1 displayes calibrated

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.