You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB SuperDrive

will the USB SuperDrive read the smaller DVDs from a Sony Camcorder/Handycam?

Posted on Feb 17, 2023 6:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2023 10:20 AM

I do not believe that the 8cm discs would load properly in the SuperDrive and consequently may be very difficult or impossible to eject the disc .

The SuperDrive is a slot loading design with an internal arm mechanism that detects the disc's presence within the drive on insertion and hence brings the central spindle up into the disc centre at the correct moment.

This will only work correctly for 12 cm discs. An 8 cm disc will most likely jam the mechanism.

There were some adaptors available where the 8 cm disc was placed into a 12 cm carrier but I do not know if these would work in a SuperDrive., they possibly would.Seem to think that Sony provided these adaptors with these type of cam's so you could play back your 8 cm discs on a standard DVD player (???)

I believe that the drawer type of optical drives would work for these 8 cm discs as you physically place/click the disc onto the central spindle of the drive when the drive drawer is open.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 17, 2023 10:20 AM in response to ME2014

I do not believe that the 8cm discs would load properly in the SuperDrive and consequently may be very difficult or impossible to eject the disc .

The SuperDrive is a slot loading design with an internal arm mechanism that detects the disc's presence within the drive on insertion and hence brings the central spindle up into the disc centre at the correct moment.

This will only work correctly for 12 cm discs. An 8 cm disc will most likely jam the mechanism.

There were some adaptors available where the 8 cm disc was placed into a 12 cm carrier but I do not know if these would work in a SuperDrive., they possibly would.Seem to think that Sony provided these adaptors with these type of cam's so you could play back your 8 cm discs on a standard DVD player (???)

I believe that the drawer type of optical drives would work for these 8 cm discs as you physically place/click the disc onto the central spindle of the drive when the drive drawer is open.

USB SuperDrive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.