You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch Bar not displaying Shortcuts and Quick Actions in Ventura

The Touch Bar on my MacBook Pro (M1) is no longer showing Shortcuts and Quick Actions when I hold the function (fn) key. It used to work and I have verified that the settings are correct.

Currently, when I hold fn the Touch Bar goes blank.

Looks like this issue has been reported with past versions of macOS, but may have been resolved at those times in a software update:

I have tried numerous things (including a fresh install of the OS, because I needed to for a different reason) and nothing seems to work. I've tried restarting, recreating library files, stopping the Touch Bar process (both in Terminal and Activity Monitor), and more.

Has anyone else had this issue? If you were able to resolve it, what did you do?

Here are my current settings for reference:

(Hopefully I chose the right device for this, I have multiple MacBook Pros. This is for the 13" M1)

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Feb 17, 2023 11:09 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Feb 17, 2023 3:06 PM in response to wesgir

wesgir wrote:

The Touch Bar on my MacBook Pro (M1) is no longer showing Shortcuts and Quick Actions when I hold the function (fn) key. It used to work and I have verified that the settings are correct.

Currently, when I hold fn the Touch Bar goes blank.

Looks like this issue has been reported with past versions of macOS, but may have been resolved at those times in a software update:

• Quick Actions with Fn key not visible in … - Apple Community
• https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252091662

I have tried numerous things (including a fresh install of the OS, because I needed to for a different reason) and nothing seems to work. I've tried restarting, recreating library files, stopping the Touch Bar process (both in Terminal and Activity Monitor), and more.

Has anyone else had this issue? If you were able to resolve it, what did you do?

Here are my current settings for reference:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/be4d8f24-0d3a-4ee8-bca2-a793827b6c18
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/38fb0c38-dec3-4fde-a4e9-024fd0ac05ed

(Hopefully I chose the right device for this, I have multiple MacBook Pros. This is for the 13" M1)

A SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Feb 28, 2023 11:45 AM in response to wesgir

wesgir wrote:

I was able to verify that this issue also happens with my Intel MacBook Pro running Ventura.

All other Touch Bar / Control Strip features work fine; Quick Actions just aren't showing up when holding the fn key. The Touch Bar is responding to the key press, it just doesn't display anything (it goes blank/black).

you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Feedback - macOS - Apple

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes,  security updates  is macOS Ventura 13.2.1  

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Feb 24, 2023 12:17 PM in response to leroydouglas

Good idea, but this issue is even happening after a factory reset and a fresh install of the OS (had to do these both for separate reasons, I didn't jump to this as a solution).

I have another MacBook Pro (an Intel version) that I will test on later to see if it's specific to this machine and/or chipset. I feel like it may be software-related; there are some older threads that seem to reference software issues.

Open to any other ideas. Thank you!

Feb 28, 2023 11:42 AM in response to wesgir

I was able to verify that this issue also happens with my Intel MacBook Pro running Ventura.

All other Touch Bar / Control Strip features work fine; Quick Actions just aren't showing up when holding the fn key. The Touch Bar is responding to the key press, it just doesn't display anything (it goes blank/black).

Touch Bar not displaying Shortcuts and Quick Actions in Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.