You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

access the internet on macbook pro 2017 through bluetootth connection

I just got a new computer (macbook pro 15 inch, 2017. I also have a new Samsung s23 and am attempting to get onliine wiith either the USB tether or Bluetooth connection. So far the ONLY way I have been able to access the internet is using WiFi and the Hotspot connection. Is this the only way to connect?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Feb 17, 2023 8:41 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2023 6:12 PM

I am not sure why I am unable to connect through Bluetooth shared connection on my Android phone (as I have done with ALL previous macs and smart phones!)

However, to ANSWER the question in this thread (which ultimately had to do with Tethering the phone to my mac) The answer IS I had to download HoRNDIS 9.2 on the Mac in order for it to recognize the tethered connection. Unfortunately it doesn't work on Mac OS Ventura. At least I haven't figured out how; I did write the developer. Hope others find this helpful!

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 20, 2023 6:12 PM in response to magicbystar

I am not sure why I am unable to connect through Bluetooth shared connection on my Android phone (as I have done with ALL previous macs and smart phones!)

However, to ANSWER the question in this thread (which ultimately had to do with Tethering the phone to my mac) The answer IS I had to download HoRNDIS 9.2 on the Mac in order for it to recognize the tethered connection. Unfortunately it doesn't work on Mac OS Ventura. At least I haven't figured out how; I did write the developer. Hope others find this helpful!

Feb 17, 2023 11:50 PM in response to kaz-k

I attempted to do so, but it didn't work. I have used this on my other macs but this one is different. I am able to connect the computer. It says it's connected to the phone (in the Bluetooth settings). I have the phone 'shariing it's internet connection' turned on. My other macs also can access when I have the USB tethering. Doesn't work on this new mac. Any suggestions would be appreciated as I am otherwise extremely impressed with the machine.

Feb 18, 2023 7:21 AM in response to magicbystar

Bluetooth uses the same 2.4 GHz spectrum used for a lo-band Wi-Fi connection, but uses channel-hopping to reduce competition with Wi-Fi. Bluetooth is considered a strictly local peripheral connection. It can Not be used to get a Mac onto the Internet.

Wi-Fi is good enough for most users, why can't you use Wi-Fi?

What are you trying to accomplish?

Feb 19, 2023 5:55 AM in response to magicbystar

The Mac has a limited set of types of connections it is prepared to use for network connection, such as to the Internet. all other connections are considered local peripheral connections, such as to disk drives.

The list includes Ethernet, Wi-Fi, ThunderBolt, and a number of special-purpose adapters such as USB-C to Ethernet. USB-C cables alone are not usable for Network connections. If a connection can be used as an internet connection, it will either appear directly in the left box in:

system preferences > Networks ...

... or be addable by using the [+] button under the list.

Your tethered phone may be able to use its tether for transferring files, but unless there is some special Driver on the phone, the tethered connection can not be used Directly by the Mac to connect to the Internet.

access the internet on macbook pro 2017 through bluetootth connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.