You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using external SSD as startup disk issue

Hello, I recently purchased a SanDisk extreme and I am trying to use it as a startup disk for more storage. I have been restarting my computer and holding Command + R and hitting the disk utility. I have tried to restart from the SSD, however, it always comes back saying: security settings do not allow this Mac to use an external start-up disk. I have gone into the startup security utility, but it keeps saying no Administrator was found, even though I just signed into the administrative account. Thanks.

Johnny’s iMac 27" 5K, iMac 27″

Posted on Feb 19, 2023 10:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2023 12:05 PM

Thanks for the reply! So basically, I have already been in the startup security utility and once I try to continue through it. It tells me that there is no administrator even though I already used the admin to sign in. Thanks

Similar questions

2 replies

Feb 19, 2023 12:00 PM in response to JohnnyVent07

JohnnyVent07 wrote:

Hello, I recently purchased a SanDisk extreme and I am trying to use it as a startup disk for more storage.

Not sure how you intend to increase your Mac's internal drive for storage by using an external "startup" disk.

Regardless, the message is informing you that you need to run the Startup Security Utility, which is accessible via macOS Recovery Mode. The key, is to hold down the <control><R> key combo immediately after selecting Restart. If that does not allow you to enter this mode, then the issue may be if you are using a wireless keyboard that is not being properly recognized during the restart ... and, if that should be the case, you would need to temporarily use a wired keyboard to get this accomplished.

Using external SSD as startup disk issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.