You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Onkyo TX-NR808 No Audio Apple TV 4k

I have connected my new Apple TV 4k to my Onkyo TX-NR808 av receiver via HDMI. I am getting video through the receiver to the projector, but no matter what setting I have changed, I still do not get audio out of the receiver.

I even installed an audio extractor to get the analog left/ right out to the receiver. When I set the extractor to 2 channel, I get audio. When I turn off the system and back on, I do not get audio until I change the switch of the extractor off of 2 channel and back to 2 channel then it reestablishes the audio.

Posted on Feb 20, 2023 10:00 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2023 10:28 AM

I do not get audio out of the receiver.

Assuming everything is still working as when it left the factory (2011?), then a solution should be within reach.

You’ll want hands-on diagnosis from an expert if something is partially broken.

When I set the extractor to 2 channel, I get audio.

I think you wouldn’t have gotten a 7.1 receiver to only use it for 2.0.

- You shouldn’t need the audio extractor, when connecting as ATV→receiver→projector, unless you specifically want to use non-HDMI for the audio. HDMI-in should take precedence over other audio inputs for the receiver, which may be why it defaults to not let you hear the separate connection from the audio extractor.

As you are able to passthrough video from the HDMI input, the lack of audio might be due to settings.

- Verify that the receiver isn’t set to passthrough the audio (to the TV/​projector speaker(s)) [Audio TV Out: Off].

- Verify Mute settings.

- Verify that the audio format from Apple TV is compatible. I think it should be, as the manual lists support for PCM Multichannel up to 7.1, Dolby Digital, and Stereo, 32–192 kHz (48), 16–24 bit. But try various settings on Apple TV to verify.

- Try different HDMI-in ports, in case the circuitry on one isn’t functional as it used to be. I think the HDMI-in ports 1–6 should be equal for functional support, so try the ATV on each of them.

- Try a different AV HDMI device instead of the Apple TV, to test the receiver’s handling of HDMI AV signals on each of its inputs.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 21, 2023 10:28 AM in response to KCole2512

I do not get audio out of the receiver.

Assuming everything is still working as when it left the factory (2011?), then a solution should be within reach.

You’ll want hands-on diagnosis from an expert if something is partially broken.

When I set the extractor to 2 channel, I get audio.

I think you wouldn’t have gotten a 7.1 receiver to only use it for 2.0.

- You shouldn’t need the audio extractor, when connecting as ATV→receiver→projector, unless you specifically want to use non-HDMI for the audio. HDMI-in should take precedence over other audio inputs for the receiver, which may be why it defaults to not let you hear the separate connection from the audio extractor.

As you are able to passthrough video from the HDMI input, the lack of audio might be due to settings.

- Verify that the receiver isn’t set to passthrough the audio (to the TV/​projector speaker(s)) [Audio TV Out: Off].

- Verify Mute settings.

- Verify that the audio format from Apple TV is compatible. I think it should be, as the manual lists support for PCM Multichannel up to 7.1, Dolby Digital, and Stereo, 32–192 kHz (48), 16–24 bit. But try various settings on Apple TV to verify.

- Try different HDMI-in ports, in case the circuitry on one isn’t functional as it used to be. I think the HDMI-in ports 1–6 should be equal for functional support, so try the ATV on each of them.

- Try a different AV HDMI device instead of the Apple TV, to test the receiver’s handling of HDMI AV signals on each of its inputs.

Onkyo TX-NR808 No Audio Apple TV 4k

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.