You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clipboard Buffer gets full

As the day progresses, when I copy and paste, the copy does not replace the previous item in the clipboard, and I can only past the old item.

I have to open Activity Manager, find pboard and stop it.

This can happen several times a day. It's gone on for years. About once a year, I ask again and no one has an answer.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Feb 20, 2023 3:28 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2023 3:37 PM

Jarmaracark wrote:

As the day progresses, when I copy and paste, the copy does not replace the previous item in the clipboard, and I can only past the old item.

This can happen several times a day. It's gone on for years. About once a year, I ask again and no one has an answer.

This sounds like third party interference...

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

—A SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Login and test. Reboot  as normal and test.  Caches get rebuilt automatically.

This test will tell you if third party interference; most* extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode. 

*Ventura —System Settings>Privacy&Security>Extension look for interference w/ Finder Extensions. Safeboot no longer disabling some of these…ref: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254632522

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 20, 2023 3:37 PM in response to Jarmaracark

Jarmaracark wrote:

This sounds like third party interference...

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

—A SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Login and test. Reboot  as normal and test.  Caches get rebuilt automatically.

This test will tell you if third party interference; most* extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode. 

*Ventura —System Settings>Privacy&Security>Extension look for interference w/ Finder Extensions. Safeboot no longer disabling some of these…ref: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254632522

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

Clipboard Buffer gets full

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.