You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Entire pages file stuck in vertical text

I don't see buttons or checkboxes mentioned such as "Vertical Text" or "Text Direction" to undo my entire doc being in vertical text. I've tried selecting text too, right-clicked, etc. I need horizontal text back!

Pages 12.2.1

Perry’s iMac 24"

Posted on Feb 20, 2023 4:16 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2023 11:53 AM

perryfrombend wrote: I don't see buttons or checkboxes such as "Vertical Text" or "Text Direction" in either view (Format or Document).

As mentioned earlier, I think you have to add Japanese to your preferred languages list (and maybe also to your list of input sources) to get that option. Try doing that.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 21, 2023 11:53 AM in response to perryfrombend

perryfrombend wrote: I don't see buttons or checkboxes such as "Vertical Text" or "Text Direction" in either view (Format or Document).

As mentioned earlier, I think you have to add Japanese to your preferred languages list (and maybe also to your list of input sources) to get that option. Try doing that.

Feb 21, 2023 8:15 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Below is a screen shot from Pages. It's 1 page of 25 total. All pages look this way. It started with one page in Textedit being stuck vertical which I couldn't undo so tried Pages. Originally there were no text boxes, so I believe that's still the case (no formatted text boxes). I've already tried somethings at your link. Thanks for the reply.

Entire pages file stuck in vertical text

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.