You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i cant get iMovie to record voiceovers since I updated to the newest IOS

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Feb 22, 2023 12:42 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2023 12:47 PM

Hello theniftyscrapbooker!

Please try these steps from another thread:

Are you using an internal or external mic? Under the Input Source in the menu next to the record button you would need to select the correct input source. If it’s an external mic make sure that the recording input is activated and not muted.

Otherwise, try deleting preferences and see if that cures the problem with the voiceover not recording.

To delete preferences, open iMovie while holding down the Option and Commandkeys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

If the above are unsuccessful, as a workaround, you can use the Voice Memos app in your Mac's Applications folder to create a voice memo that can be dragged to your desktop from the Voice Memos sidebar. From there, you can drag it into iMovie and use it as a voiceover. Not as convenient as the iMovie Voice Over feature, but still pretty easy, and at least you can finish your project.

I hope this is helpful. Good Luck!

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 22, 2023 12:47 PM in response to theniftyscrapbooker

Hello theniftyscrapbooker!

Please try these steps from another thread:

Are you using an internal or external mic? Under the Input Source in the menu next to the record button you would need to select the correct input source. If it’s an external mic make sure that the recording input is activated and not muted.

Otherwise, try deleting preferences and see if that cures the problem with the voiceover not recording.

To delete preferences, open iMovie while holding down the Option and Commandkeys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

If the above are unsuccessful, as a workaround, you can use the Voice Memos app in your Mac's Applications folder to create a voice memo that can be dragged to your desktop from the Voice Memos sidebar. From there, you can drag it into iMovie and use it as a voiceover. Not as convenient as the iMovie Voice Over feature, but still pretty easy, and at least you can finish your project.

I hope this is helpful. Good Luck!

Feb 24, 2023 8:46 AM in response to theniftyscrapbooker

It may be that you simply need to authorize iMovie to use the microphone.

Go to System Preferences/Security and Privacy/Privacy and click on the Microphone item in the left side bar. A pane will open in the right side of the window.

Confirm that the Microphone is enabled for iMovie by checking the box next to the iMovie item in the right hand pane.

I am using an older operating system than you, so the above box may look a little different.

-- Rich

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.