You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Eat external drive to easy more files to free up space

Best external file to free up storage space

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 25, 2023 8:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2023 10:33 AM

I recommend drives from OWC (MacSales.com) as they have proven reliability, excellent customer support and warranties.  Consider one of these depending on your budget and needs: 

OWC Mercury Elite Pro -HDD

1.0TB OWC Envoy Pro FX Thunderbolt 3 + USB-C Portable NVMe SSD

1.0TB OWC Envoy Pro SX Rugged Portable NVMe SSD with Thunderbolt/USB4

1.0TB OWC Envoy Pro Elektron USB-C portable NVMe SSD

Envoy Pro EX with USB-C or USB 3

OWC Envoy Pro SX - up to 2847 MB/s 

For your model contact OWC's customer support and get their recommendation for the SSD model that would best suit your iMac model and budget.  They may have additional models other than those I've shown above.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 25, 2023 10:33 AM in response to Mckinkey

I recommend drives from OWC (MacSales.com) as they have proven reliability, excellent customer support and warranties.  Consider one of these depending on your budget and needs: 

OWC Mercury Elite Pro -HDD

1.0TB OWC Envoy Pro FX Thunderbolt 3 + USB-C Portable NVMe SSD

1.0TB OWC Envoy Pro SX Rugged Portable NVMe SSD with Thunderbolt/USB4

1.0TB OWC Envoy Pro Elektron USB-C portable NVMe SSD

Envoy Pro EX with USB-C or USB 3

OWC Envoy Pro SX - up to 2847 MB/s 

For your model contact OWC's customer support and get their recommendation for the SSD model that would best suit your iMac model and budget.  They may have additional models other than those I've shown above.

Feb 26, 2023 5:56 AM in response to Mckinkey

as already mentioned, just about any drive will work. but you shouldn't use any preloaded software (or install such software yourself) that supposedly makes the drive "Mac ready". when you use software from just about any manufacturer for their storage device you run the risk of that same software not being compatible with macOS updates / upgrades. it can cause the software to stop working. at best this will cause you a headache. at worst it can render your data inaccessible. it is always best to use disk utility to erase and format a drive before use to remove any preloaded software.

Eat external drive to easy more files to free up space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.