You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Major problem with Apple Mail: Unable to Delete Junk Mail

Hello,

I am suddenly having some major issues with Apple Mail. These problems started only a day ago.

I have recently begun receiving a lot of junk mail, and after the "Apply Rules" option mostly failed, I have just been mass moving all my Junk Mail to Trash until I can figure out how to just automatically delete these junk messages. However, after I had moved all the Junk to Trash, I started getting these random pop up messages saying "The message (email name) could not be moved to mailbox "Trash - iCloud".

Here is a picture of one such message: https://i.ibb.co/QC2CV3c/delete-mail-fail-1234143.png

This has never happened before and I have no idea what to do to fix this and get rid of all this junk mail. What do I do?

Any and all help with this is of course appreciated!

• MGV

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 28, 2023 10:34 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2023 11:15 AM

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

If you have no POP accounts & they’re all IMAP accounts then in Mail’s Mailbox menu choose Rebuild.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 28, 2023 11:15 AM in response to Miss Mal

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

If you have no POP accounts & they’re all IMAP accounts then in Mail’s Mailbox menu choose Rebuild.

Mar 1, 2023 2:50 PM in response to BDAqua

Ok so I tried it in Safe Mode (at least I think I did), and now the problem seems to be gone, so that's good! I was finally able to get rid of those junk messages.

I had no prior knowledge of what POP/IMAP accounts are, but after looking them up I definitely have an IMAP account. I'm going to look further into this to see if I can prevent this and the further buildup of junk mail in my account.

If the problem returns or persists again, I will certainly come back here, thank you!

Major problem with Apple Mail: Unable to Delete Junk Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.