You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

On iOS 16.1, is there finally a way to reposition icons?

Quick question: I heard that iOS 16.1 finally allows you to reposition one or two icons on Home screen without nearby icons "automatically" shifting wherever iOS wants them to be.

I have tried this, but alas, it acts exactly the same as older versions of iOS.

So, am I overlooking something, or was there no "fix" implemented for this problem?

Thanks in advance, for any advice.

iPhone 13 Mini

Posted on Feb 28, 2023 7:19 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2023 2:17 AM

It is not possible to place App Icons in random places on the Home Screen in iOS 16.

You can use Widgets on the Home Screen, this will automatically move your app icons, so you can see, for example, only 2 app icons in a row.

I demonstrate this in a gif below ↓

You can see more about how to manage your Home Screen here:

Organize the Home Screen and App Library on your iPhone - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 1, 2023 2:17 AM in response to jennamarietx

It is not possible to place App Icons in random places on the Home Screen in iOS 16.

You can use Widgets on the Home Screen, this will automatically move your app icons, so you can see, for example, only 2 app icons in a row.

I demonstrate this in a gif below ↓

You can see more about how to manage your Home Screen here:

Organize the Home Screen and App Library on your iPhone - Apple Support

On iOS 16.1, is there finally a way to reposition icons?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.