You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The troubling issue of managing a second monitor with MacBookAir

Hi everyone! Hope you're doing well.

Here are some details before I detail my case:

• I use a MacBook Air (M2, 2022) running macOS Ventura.
  • I would like to use my old MacBook Pro (13 inch, 2017, two Thunderbolt 3 ports) as an extended display. It is upgraded and therefore also runs macOS Ventura.

The reason for this post: Since I'm currently working on a research paper, I'd like to be able to read some research documents on one display (MacBook Pro) and still take notes and finish my work on a main display (MacBook Air).

The problem: Although the Universal Control works perfectly (I can use the mouse and keyboard of my MacBook Air on my MacBook Pro), I can't say the same about the Mirroring part.

• My MacBook Air is not able to detect my MacBook Pro to "mirror or extend" it, but in the display settings, under the "+" button, it can "link the keyboard and mouse" to my MacBook Pro. This works perfectly fine.
  • If I choose the option to "link keyboard and mouse" from my MacBook Air, the display layout shows 2 screens with both having their menu bar. Also, they are both designated as "main display" and I cannot use my MacBook Air as "extended display" or "mirror or extend of the built-in display". In other words, I cannot change the option which is stuck on "main display" mode.
  • Furthermore, I can't drag a window/document/file from my MacBook Air's display to my MacBook Pro's display. A possibility I dream of realizing one day!

Where things get even weirder: However, my MacBook Pro can "mirror or extend to" my MacBook Air. So it detects it.

• In the display settings on my MacBook Pro, the "+" button detects my MacBook Air and I can choose to "link the keyboard and mouse" or "mirror or extend". Both options seem to work. From my MacBook Pro, I can set it up as a "main display", "extended display" or "mirror or extension of the built-in display". The only drawback is that my MacBook Air starts mirroring my MacBook Pro but the reverse is not possible.
  • I can drag windows and files when the mirroring options are set from my MacBook Pro only. As said above, this is not possible from my MacBook Air.

A few things to know (I did some long and thorough research before posting this):

• The "Displays have separate Spaces" option has been unchecked.
  • The brightness and color of both screens are the same and the "true tone" option, dark options, etc. have also been unchecked to ensure that everything is similar between the two.
  • I already tried the "Detect screens" option. It did not work.\
  • I used sleep mode on both, logged out, restarted and shut down too. It didn't work.
  • Yes, I'm sure they both work on Ventura. Airplay, bluetooth, WiFi, etc., options were also verified to be the same on both devices. Everything should normally work perfectly. Unfortunately, it doesn't.

So here are my questions:

• Why does what seems to work with my MacBook Pro not work with my MacBook Air?
  • Why can my MacBook Pro override my MacBook Air?
  • Is there a way to make my MacBook Air work the same way/to detect my MacBook Pro screen and offer the same functions? I prefer to work on this one rather than use it as a second monitor. My MacBook Pro is slow and about to die.
  • Why does this only happen to me? (joke)

Thank you everyone for your help and support! I hope we'll find a solution.

Kind Regards,

The RollingBunny

MacBook Air (M2)

Posted on Mar 2, 2023 5:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2023 9:25 AM

Hi RollingBunny,

You've completed some great isolation and troubleshooting already. For help regarding mirroring, the steps found in the article here does state you "may" be able to use a second Mac as a display but doesn't guarantee it. Use one or more external displays with your Mac

While the article here: System requirements for Continuity on Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch does state Universal Control will work with a MacBook Pro introduced in 2016 or later the AirPlay feature requires a MacBook Pro introduced in 2018 or later.

Additionally if you have an iPad you can use that as a second display with the steps here: Use your iPad as a second display for your Mac

For further assistance, reach out to Apple Support directly.

Contact - Official Apple Support

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Cheers.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 5, 2023 9:25 AM in response to RollingBunny

Hi RollingBunny,

You've completed some great isolation and troubleshooting already. For help regarding mirroring, the steps found in the article here does state you "may" be able to use a second Mac as a display but doesn't guarantee it. Use one or more external displays with your Mac

While the article here: System requirements for Continuity on Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch does state Universal Control will work with a MacBook Pro introduced in 2016 or later the AirPlay feature requires a MacBook Pro introduced in 2018 or later.

Additionally if you have an iPad you can use that as a second display with the steps here: Use your iPad as a second display for your Mac

For further assistance, reach out to Apple Support directly.

Contact - Official Apple Support

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Cheers.

The troubling issue of managing a second monitor with MacBookAir

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.