You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I edit my Final Cut Pro project from an external drive?

URGENT!! Anyone can help???

I would like to ask if my media footage is on my hardisk drive, but my project is in my MacBook.

As my MacBook don't have enough space, so I would like to buy another SSD/HDD for editing or for putting my editing project.

However, my project hasn't finished editing yet.

May I know if the project is ok to transfer to my new SSD/HDD and my media footage still keep in my old HDD, where my footage was used to be.

So when I edit, I will have two External Storage for me. If this works???

Can anyone help me plssss!! urgent!!!! thanks!!!!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Mar 3, 2023 11:15 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2023 12:10 PM

Yes, just drag and drop the library.

After you’ve copied the library change the cache location to the external SSD.

For an excellent introduction to FCP start with Steve Martin’s 60 minute intro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqUP7Zgeuck. For a more in depth introduction use the IzzyVideo tutorials. The version is a bit dated but the principles are the same. 

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 3, 2023 12:10 PM in response to Yuki_H

Yes, just drag and drop the library.

After you’ve copied the library change the cache location to the external SSD.

For an excellent introduction to FCP start with Steve Martin’s 60 minute intro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqUP7Zgeuck. For a more in depth introduction use the IzzyVideo tutorials. The version is a bit dated but the principles are the same. 

Mar 3, 2023 12:04 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

I will do it after I get my new ssd, as my original HDD with original footage is not big enough.

Do you mean I just have to drag and drop the whole library to the new ssd?

Do I need to change the location of these(Media, Motion Content, cache and backups) if i transfer to a new ssd? how should I do the transfer to the ssd? Are there any videos for me to follow steps by steps?

Mar 3, 2023 11:22 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I am not sure why my library is so large, maybe I added some of the footage into the library as I have to synchronise the clips and I am new with this method, so maybe I accidentally added the footage to the library.

My MacBook is totally new, I have already used 990gb for the project, I have 3TB media, and I just edited maybe half of the video.

Mar 3, 2023 11:50 AM in response to Yuki_H

Delete the generated files to get rid of the optimized media. All your media is stored inside the library bundle. Copy the library to your external drive. Check it. If it’s okay delete the library on your system drive. Because the media will now be on the external, make sure it’s a fast SSD. In library settings set the cache to be on the same external drive as the library. It’s useful to have the cache outside the library. If there’s any problem or the cache starts to get large it can simply be dumped, and the application will rebuild it.

Can I edit my Final Cut Pro project from an external drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.