You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't check for watchOS update: "Update iPhone First"

I just enrolled to the Apple Beta Software program, and enrolled my Apple Watch.

Once I installed the watchOS 9 Beta Program profile and restarted the watch, I went to check for updates on my iPhone (SE 2nd generation, 2020) and it tells me to "Update iPhone First: To update your Apple Watch, you first need to update your iPhone. You can update your iPhone software in Settings. [Open Settings][Cancel]"

The thing is, my iPhone is up to date (iOS 16.3.1), at least that's what it tells me.

I already tried restarting my iPhone, disconnecting my watch from my iPhone and checking for updates in the watch itself, but it keeps telling me "Unable to Check for Update: An error occured while checking for a software update. [Cancel] [Try Again]"

Apple Watch SE

Posted on Mar 9, 2023 5:37 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2023 5:39 AM

If you want to participate in the watch beta, you must also enroll your phone in the iOS beta.

Similar questions

1 reply

Can't check for watchOS update: "Update iPhone First"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.