You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apply a .cer certificate Ventura 13.2.1

I need to apply a .cer certificate so that I can access a remote system. This is an easy task on a Windows PC, but this is the first time I have had to do it on my MBP (M2 chip).

Looking on the web it looked like all I had to do was drag the .cer file into the Keychain Access app. I tried that, but it didn't work. I also tried using the Import option from the menu. That didn't work either.

At the moment the file is in Downloads.

Do I need to store it somewhere else?

How can I do this?

TIA

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 16, 2023 9:35 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2023 3:20 AM

Hi.

I decided to approach Apple Support and they got me fixed. It doesn't like the .cer file as it is seemingly from an unknown developer (which, in effect, it is). I had to use Get Info on the file and change the parameter to always trust (can't remember exactly where I did that - the file itself or somewhere in Settings>Privacy).

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 17, 2023 3:20 AM in response to Flybr1dge

Hi.

I decided to approach Apple Support and they got me fixed. It doesn't like the .cer file as it is seemingly from an unknown developer (which, in effect, it is). I had to use Get Info on the file and change the parameter to always trust (can't remember exactly where I did that - the file itself or somewhere in Settings>Privacy).

Mar 17, 2023 1:17 AM in response to Mac Jim ID

Hi. I did as you suggested. There was no error message given - nothing happened when I drag from the Downloads folder to the app. I also double clicked the .cer and, although it looked like something was happening because I was asked to enter my password, nothing appeared in the app.

Just to be sure, I attempted to connect to the remote system, but it didn't work.

apply a .cer certificate Ventura 13.2.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.