You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to sort People folder newest to oldest?

I have a lot of pictures, and I love the People section of Photos. I have a 5year old whom I have been taking photos of since birth. When I want to go into the People section to find a photo, It opens at the oldest items and I have to scroll through every picture since birth. Is it possible to reverse the sort order on this? Or have it behave like a Shared album and open at the bottom / most recent photos?

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

Posted on Mar 22, 2023 8:49 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2023 9:03 AM

No, the people album has a fixed sort order. You can see this, when you open the album of a person and go to the menu "View > Sort". The sort option is fixed for "Oldest first".

As a work-around, create a smart album (File > New smart album) with the rule "Person > Is > ..." and select the name of the person.

This smart album can be sorted by newest first.

I am simply setting the System Preferences to show the scroll bars at all times. Then a simple click into the scrollbar at the right of the Photos window will jump to the clicked position. So clicking the lower right cormer will jump to the most recent photos.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 22, 2023 9:03 AM in response to jeffkjr

No, the people album has a fixed sort order. You can see this, when you open the album of a person and go to the menu "View > Sort". The sort option is fixed for "Oldest first".

As a work-around, create a smart album (File > New smart album) with the rule "Person > Is > ..." and select the name of the person.

This smart album can be sorted by newest first.

I am simply setting the System Preferences to show the scroll bars at all times. Then a simple click into the scrollbar at the right of the Photos window will jump to the clicked position. So clicking the lower right cormer will jump to the most recent photos.

How to sort People folder newest to oldest?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.