You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Magic Keyboard typing wrong characters

I just received my replacement magic keyboard and it's still typing the wrong characters.

When I hit shift 2 I get this symbol instead !

When I hit shift for apostrophe I get this :

When I tried to do a factory reset, it just sits and churns and it also says that the keyboard is not discoverable in blue tooth mode buy yet I'm typing this with the keyboard hooked up to bluetooth.

I need your help.

The keyboard is set up properly in system preferences for the country I live in (USA).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

this is the computer I use iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019) running macOS Monterey

Very Frustrated¡¡¡¡ Oh, I guess I get that when I type for exclamation marks....

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 23, 2023 5:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2023 8:14 AM

dougengle wrote:

Very Frustrated¡¡¡¡ Oh, I guess I get that when I type for exclamation marks....

PS The behavior you describe fits an Input Source called "Spanish Legacy". No keyboard uses this layout as far as I know. Get rid of it from your Input Sources list. If you do need a Spanish layout, use "Spanish" or "Latin American".

If your previous keyboard had the same behavior, there was nothing wrong it it, just the settings on your machine.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 23, 2023 8:14 AM in response to dougengle

dougengle wrote:

PS The behavior you describe fits an Input Source called "Spanish Legacy". No keyboard uses this layout as far as I know. Get rid of it from your Input Sources list. If you do need a Spanish layout, use "Spanish" or "Latin American".

If your previous keyboard had the same behavior, there was nothing wrong it it, just the settings on your machine.

New Magic Keyboard typing wrong characters

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.