You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All my set ups, most all I transferred over and new files disappeared!

I have a 2021 MacBook Pro, version 12.5 (Monterey). I am not very techie but I was able to transfer a good portion of the data from my old computer to it. I started learning the new computer, using Safari and other apps on it including creating documents.

About a month or so later, while I was using Safari, a window asking for the 'keychain password' suddenly popped up. I thought it was a little suspicious so I tried to cancel it but the window just wouldn't go away after many tries.

Then I tried to close 'Safari' and I couldn't do that either. Safari was either locked up or that small window was stopping me from quitting the browser. So I did a 'forced quit' and then I shut down the computer and rebooted just to be safe... seems that was a big mistake!

When the computer booted back up, all files and most of the apps on it were gone! It was as if it was a new computer with nothing on it but the basics that it came with. Most all my set ups, most of what I transferred over, all new files, etc... were gone! :(

I am afraid to use the new computer now just in case I might overwrite the important documents I had on it. So I am stuck using my very old computer for now until I can troubleshoot what is going on and hopefully retrieve everything that was on it. I need to figure this out soon because the old computer is starting to get very glitchy.

I did check in 'About this Computer' and the storage information shows there is 103.58 GB in 'Other Users.' I am wondering if that is indicating the files, etc that are missing? To be honest, I have no clue what 'Other Users' means. Are my files, apps, etc gone and have to start over? Or are they just hidden?

I really hope someone can help me. Thank you in advance.

MacBook Pro (2021)

Posted on Mar 24, 2023 3:59 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2023 4:49 PM

I spent hours trying to figure it out but I found the files, etc and was able to unhide them.

Thanks anyway.

Similar questions

2 replies

All my set ups, most all I transferred over and new files disappeared!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.