You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

will the Photos application work normally if located on an external SSD drive`

Due to the limited internal memory of the new iMacs I am running out of space as I move old files to the new iMac. I'm wondering if I could use my Samsung T5 or T7 SSD to hold the Photos application and photos. I will use another external drive for backups.

iMac 24″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 24, 2023 5:41 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2023 5:45 PM

Leave the application in the Applications Folder. You can. however, easily move the library to an external which needs to be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or apfs and directly connected to the Mac.

Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

2 replies

Mar 25, 2023 1:16 AM in response to Rob Fuentes

One caution - you will have to plug-in the external volume before you launch Photos the first time after signing into your user account snd keep it connected, until you sign out, even if you are no longer working with Photos. The background processes need access to your system photos library at all times, or Photos will forget the location of your library.

will the Photos application work normally if located on an external SSD drive`

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.