You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import photo library from external drive to new library in photos on new Mac

I used to keep my photo library on an external drive - in fact it was a iPhoto library that had previously been an Aperture library. I did once convert it to a photos library so it should be good to import to my new MacBook Air M2. Do I jus copy the Pictures folder somewhere in the Finder on the new Mac and then Alt-Open Photos to choose this as the library or is there another way to do it that is better? I want to move it all to the new MacBook Air to take advantage of iCloud features, plus I now have enough storage on the new MacBook Air that I used not to have on my 2008 iMac.

At one point I had opened the Library on my prior MacBook Air (2015) which wouldn't run Ventura but ran Monterey so it converted to a Photos library. It never finished recognizing all the Faces for some reason even though I left it plugged in an not sleeping for several days. I can't remember if I have to have Photos closed or open for that to happen.

T

MacBook Air (M2, 2022)

Posted on Mar 26, 2023 7:30 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Mar 28, 2023 12:53 AM in response to Allez Epic

There are some limitations for merging libraries by importing photos from one library into another one:

• You can only import from a library that is not syncing with iCloud. So, if one of your libraries is an iCloud Photos library, import into the iCloud Library, not from the iCloud Library.
  • Photos cannot import the keywords and the alb7ms, only the media files. So merge, before you invest too much work into creating albums and adding keywords.
  • When importing from a library Photos will need a lot of memory to show you te photos to be imported, so import the smaller library into the larger library. Import photos from another library in Photos on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Import photo library from external drive to new library in photos on new Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.