You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer of Office files

I have just purchased my first Mac (a Mac Mini). I need to transfer my Microsoft Office files from my Windows 10 laptop to the Mac. Can someone please tell me the best way to do that? In addition, after I have transferred the files, will I then save them in future to OneDrive or iCloud?

Mac mini, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 28, 2023 4:54 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2023 6:22 PM

You can use Migration Assistant app on the Mac to transfer your files from your pc.

Please see: Move your data from a Windows PC to a Mac - Apple Support

As for where you store them afterward, yes, you can use either OneDrive or iCloud, whatever you feel most meets your needs.

13 replies

Mar 28, 2023 6:50 PM in response to Madbrow67

If the files are already stored in OneDrive on the PC, then if you choose to install Microsoft 365 or Office 2021 for Mac on the new Mac mini, then signing in with the same Microsoft account would give you access to those same Office documents on OneDrive You would need to install OneDrive on the Mac and like WIndows, it is also part of the Office foer Mac installation.

If you are only concerned about transferring your Office files and not all of your other Windows files, then just put the Office files on a thumb drive and read them from that thumb drive on macOS.

Otherwise, the more involved Migration Assistant for which you need to install an appropriate Apple software item on Windows 10. See Move your data from a Windows PC to a Mac - Apple Support and from your Windows laptop download the appropriate migration tool for Ventura 13.*.

I also recommend that you take advantage of Apple's built-in Time Machine backup solution to a suitably sized (2 - 3x the internal drive size) external mounted drive. I happen to use Crucial's X8 SSD as they have proven rock solid reliable and very fast. You will need to use Disk Utililty to erase and format the Crucial drive to APFS instead of the exFAT formatting on it. Then in Settings > General > Time Machine, set that Crucial drive as the backup device. Time Machine will run approximately every hour your Mac mini is powered on.

Apple's iCloud is a convenience service, not a backup solution.

Mar 28, 2023 6:38 PM in response to D.I. Johnson

Thank you very much for your reply. I did see the Migration Assistant app. However, it looks pretty involved to transfer from a Windows PC to a Mac. For one thing you have to install the Migration Assistant app on the PC. I really only want to transfer my Microsoft Office files, nothing else. I was hoping there might be a simpler way perhaps involving my Microsoft 365 subscription, downloading the Office apps from the App Store onto the Mac or something similar. Any thoughts along those lines?

Mar 28, 2023 6:59 PM in response to Madbrow67

Your Microsoft 365 subscription to Office 2011 for Mac is dead and buried. You will need a new Microsoft 365 subscription for the currently supported Microsoft 365 applications, and its new license for the Mac applications.

The single-purchase Office 2021 for Mac can be had for as little as $30 - $50 if you use the specials offered on AppleInsider or TechRadar sites, or as much as $250 full price. I have my Office 2021 for Mac suite set to autoupdate.

Mar 28, 2023 8:30 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks for the update. Can I just check a couple of other points with you about this?

I assume the $250 is an annual renewal subscription payable to Apple?

The AppleInsider offer doesn’t seem to include the OneDrive app. I assume I would also have pay another subscription for this in the App Store in order to be able to save to OneDrive?

Mar 29, 2023 11:04 AM in response to Madbrow67

Microsoft charges $250 retail for a single-purchase of Office 2021 for Mac. It is not a subscription as is Microsoft 365 which is an annual endowment to Microsoft.

The Office 2021 for Mac that I purchased in Spring 2022 from the Apple Insider special came with all Microsoft applications included. I simply chose a custom installation and omitted Outlook, OneDrive, and Notes. You will need to sign into your Microsoft account during the purchase process so that Office 2021 for Mac is registered to your account.

Understand that any MIcrosoft applications found in the Mac App Store require a Microsoft 365 subscription license that would be incompatible with Office 2021 for Mac applications.

Mar 29, 2023 11:55 AM in response to VikingOSX

I am ok paying $250 for a one-off purchase if that will allow me to open, edit and save my Office OneDrive files on my Mac. However, I am still unsure of the procedure. I assume I go to the Mac App Store and not Microsoft online? What do I then search for on the Mac App Store? Microsoft 365 for Mac or Office 2021 for Mac? I then pay $250 to Apple for the purchase?

My apologies for so many questions and thank you for your patience. I obviously just want to make sure that I get this right. If you can just tell how to proceed it will be appreciated.

Mar 29, 2023 6:08 PM in response to VikingOSX

VikingOSX, thanks for the latest information. I see that this is a physical purchase for delivery. That's a bit difficult for me as I don't live in the US. If I have it sent to a friend in the US will he just be able to tell me the PIN and product key for me to download the product?

One more question? I see that this doesn't include OneDrive. Do I need a OneDrive app on my Mac in order to be able to continue to save the files to OneDrive or will I simply be able to continue to save them to OneDrive online as I did before?

Mar 30, 2023 6:08 AM in response to Madbrow67

I thought that the Apple Online store sends you an email with license key and a link where to download the Office suite. They simply show a Microsoft box on the Store site, but that may not imply physical delivery and I would confirm with the Apple Online store about what I mentioned in the first sentence.

My Office 2021 for Mac Home and Business included OneDrive, Outlook, and Notes, and I have no reason to believe that because it is not documented at the Apple Store site, that your installation would exclude OneDrive. The separate OneDrive in the Mac App Store requires a Microsoft 365 subscription, and would not be compatible with the single-purchase license.

Transfer of Office files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.