You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with new portable HDD

Hi, I purchased a portable HDD and when connected to laptop, it asked erase or not something and pressed yes and now it won’t read it tonopen it. It’s brand new. I erased from the system or something. It appears on a window but cannot access it. Thanks in advance. The model don’t know for sure but mac laptop

MacBook (2017)

Posted on Mar 29, 2023 2:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2023 11:27 AM

Kellynda9 wrote:

Hi, I purchased a portable HDD and when connected to laptop, it asked erase or not something and pressed yes and now it won’t read it tonopen it. It’s brand new. I erased from the system or something. It appears on a window but cannot access it. Thanks in advance. The model don’t know for sure but mac laptop

All new drives should be erased/formatted/initialized as new...

In DiskUtility>View>Show All Devices you are selecting for the top most parent drive, not the Volume level, not the Container level

for Mac only—

GUID/APFS

or

GUID/HFS+

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 29, 2023 11:27 AM in response to Kellynda9

Kellynda9 wrote:

All new drives should be erased/formatted/initialized as new...

In DiskUtility>View>Show All Devices you are selecting for the top most parent drive, not the Volume level, not the Container level

for Mac only—

GUID/APFS

or

GUID/HFS+

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Problems with new portable HDD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.