You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not toggle wi-fi to on position.

hi everyone would love some help. I turned on my Macbook and all of a sudden, i could not connect to my wi fi. The button is sort of greyed out and I can not toggle it from the top of the screen o from system preferences. I started researching on my phone on what to do and I tried everything from resetting pram to using terminal with a few different commands to see if the network could be turned on. Also deleted system configuration files, nothing. Its running the latest Ventura, it seems after the last mild OS Ventura update the wi fi died.

iam wondering if its the card and it ***** because this machine was pricey at least for me. The wi fi card i believe is integrated to the logic board and they seem to be very expensive from what I found. I know Apple would charge me an arm and a leg to fix this.

pram re set

tried the sudo airport on and off

tried deleting any old vpns

trier turning off any login items

created a new user same issue

the fan icon has an exclamation point through it.

tried setting up a new wi fi connection but all I see is thunderbolt on the drop list to the right.

i also tried running wireless diagnostic’s but it briefly opens and quits right away.

patience with me, am not a super user like the majority here. thank you in advance.

2019 macbook pro 16”

MacBook Pro 16″

Posted on Mar 30, 2023 2:14 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2023 2:36 AM

If the wifi button is greyed out, there is most likely a hardware issue going on with your internal wifi antenna.

To rule this out, try wifi diagnostics

Wi-Fi Recommendations. Click Wi-Fi  in Control Center or the menu bar and check for a menu item named Wi-Fi Recommendations. If you see it, your Mac has detected an issue and has recommendations. Choose Wi-Fi Recommendations to learn more.*

Wireless Diagnostics. Press and hold the Option key on your keyboard while clicking Wi-Fi  in Control Center or the menu bar, then choose Open Wireless Diagnostics from the menu. Learn more about using Wireless Diagnostics to analyze your wireless environment.

Try and check your router:

If you manage the network's Wi-Fi router, install the latest firmware updates for the router, as recommended by its manufacturer. It might also help to simply restart the router and use Apple's recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points.

If this is all working properly, you should Contact - Official Apple Support

to set up hardware service for your device

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 30, 2023 2:36 AM in response to Geonyc31

If the wifi button is greyed out, there is most likely a hardware issue going on with your internal wifi antenna.

To rule this out, try wifi diagnostics

Wi-Fi Recommendations. Click Wi-Fi  in Control Center or the menu bar and check for a menu item named Wi-Fi Recommendations. If you see it, your Mac has detected an issue and has recommendations. Choose Wi-Fi Recommendations to learn more.*

Wireless Diagnostics. Press and hold the Option key on your keyboard while clicking Wi-Fi  in Control Center or the menu bar, then choose Open Wireless Diagnostics from the menu. Learn more about using Wireless Diagnostics to analyze your wireless environment.

Try and check your router:

If you manage the network's Wi-Fi router, install the latest firmware updates for the router, as recommended by its manufacturer. It might also help to simply restart the router and use Apple's recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points.

If this is all working properly, you should Contact - Official Apple Support

to set up hardware service for your device

Can not toggle wi-fi to on position.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.