You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

possibly corrupted file in garageband-is it possible to recover the file?

Hi, I have been using Garageband for several months now as I have started to make my own songs and produce them as well. I have only had this happen a couple of other times however the projects were not as important so it wasn't really an issue. But now it has happened to one I was working on the other day and I would like to know if I can recover it.

whenever I try to open the file it says "the file couldn't be opened because it isn't in the correct format. The file might be corrupted, truncated or in an unexpected format."

is it possible to fix this issue?

thanks, Tabby:)

Mac mini

Posted on Apr 1, 2023 4:53 AM

1 reply

Apr 2, 2023 10:35 AM in response to tabby291

I have an entire collection of corrupted song/project files caused by GarageBand. I managed to save a few of them by downloading the trial version of Logic Pro and it actually opened a few of them, but it's not possible to re-save these files as GarageBand format. Apple has really dropped the ball on "reverse interoperability" between Logic Pro and GarageBand. They only offer the option to export to GarageBand iOS, not desktop GarageBand. I don't understand the thinking there.

So, if you want to try to save some of them, download the trial version of Logic Pro. At least you might have a chance of saving some files.

possibly corrupted file in garageband-is it possible to recover the file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.