You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mini Mac 2010 and Cinema Screen

Hello Community,

Can I used an Apple Cinema Screen to play DVDs with a Mini Mac 2010, or do I need to use a Thunderbolt screen?

Mac mini, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 3, 2023 12:01 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2023 4:42 PM

Hi, Cocjo, yes, you can use an Apple Cinema Display to play dvd’s with a Mac mini 2010.. only Mac minis from 2011 or later have Thunderbolt.. so, you’d be looking at either DVI, HDMi or MiniDiSplayPort. DVI might require an adapter…

John B

4 replies

Apr 4, 2023 7:54 AM in response to Cocjo

Thank-you for your response; this sounds good.

I'm connected to a Cinema Screen via the screen DVI but there is an HDMI portal on the back of the mini mac, do I have to be connected via that too?

The reasons why I am asking these questions is because I can't seam to get the DVD/CDs to play on this mini 2010.

I've tried the rebooting technique but this hasn't solved the problem. though maybe I'm not completely connected.

Apr 4, 2023 10:06 AM in response to Cocjo

No-either dvi ( could be dual link dvi if the dvi monitor is over 20 “ in size, and has to be an active adapter) or hdmi( via hdmi to dvi adapter, with the previous qualifications) … what do you see on your monitor if you try to play them ? Eg, black screen or do they just not play at all ? If so, then try the usual: reset smc/pmu , followed by 3-4 pram zaps on startup and see if it works… also, see if using a dvd cleaning disc helps ( the one with the little brushes on it) … could be that your dvi adapter has gone bad-I dunno? As a last resort, you could buy an external dvd/cd recorder/drive and plug that into your Mac mini 2010, although not the perfect solution, it’ll at least let you play cd’s and dvd’s… or take it in for service ( if you want to go that far)

john B

Mini Mac 2010 and Cinema Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.