You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How many external SSDs can my iMac M1 manage?

I have an iMac M1. How many external SSDs (as backups) can my machine manage? Reason I ask is that I have three backup SSDs made by SanDisk. Operating well. But attaching a fourth SanDisk does not seem to work on a continuing basis. Sometimes I have to restart the iMac, and when I do that fourth SSD does not always load. Is that SSD corrupt or is it an indication that my machine can't handle the load?

I have an M1 iMac running macOS Ventura 13.2.1.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 24″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Apr 7, 2023 9:07 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2023 4:18 PM

My previous Mac was a Mac Mini and I used a TB hub. Even with that when I tried to connect 4 drives at once it wouldn't see the last drive. I found that different drive enclosures acted differently as some probably took more current then the system could handle. All you can do is try to match or sort the drives the best you can that will provide the most reliable function.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 7, 2023 4:18 PM in response to danielfrombolingbrook

My previous Mac was a Mac Mini and I used a TB hub. Even with that when I tried to connect 4 drives at once it wouldn't see the last drive. I found that different drive enclosures acted differently as some probably took more current then the system could handle. All you can do is try to match or sort the drives the best you can that will provide the most reliable function.

Apr 7, 2023 1:44 PM in response to tbirdvet

Your answer sounds likely, something I had not considered. I have three of the SSDs connected through an OWC Thunderbolt hub, but because there's only three USB-C inputs on that hub, I've connected the fourth (problematic one) to a USB hub, connected with a USB-C to USB cord. Maybe it's that connectivity that's an issue as well.

I'll have to eject that fourth SSD, not critical. At least I know the limit. If you know of a better way to connect it without buying another Thunderbolt hub (all the SanDisk SSDs are USB-C), please let me know. And thanks.

Apr 7, 2023 7:17 PM in response to tbirdvet

Thanks for the input. Your experience with a fourth drive matches mine closely. I’ll remember all this going forward, and I’ve ejected the fourth SSD for now.

Right now I have a 1TB, a 2TB, and 2 4TBs connected, with only the 2 and 4s connected through the TB hub. Not sure, but the 1TB may not be a drag on the bus as it’s connected through a USB hub. I’ll keep an eye on everything for a few days, then try to swap out the 1TB with the now disconnected 4TB to see if that makes any difference.

Appreciate your help.

How many external SSDs can my iMac M1 manage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.