You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't create a new VPN configuration

On my MacBook Air M2 2022 macOS Ventura 13.2.1 22D68 I try creating a new VPN configuration.

First, VPN tab is missing from the settings. When I search for it in Spotlight and open it, an error appears:

Second, when I use the 3 dots in the Network tab, hit Add VPN Configuration -> L2TP over IPSec, fill all the info, including password and shared secret, and click create, nothing happens. Moreover, the server and username I put in don't get saved in a named configuration too.

I first tried giving the VPN a custom name, but found a thread online that it is buggy, so tried leaving the default "VPN" as the name, but it didn't help too.

Third, I also saw that VPN can be added to the top bar through the Control Centre, but it is missing from there too.

Edit: I use this laptop as a personal device with a fresh OS install, so I shouldn't be limited by the manufacturer or distributor.

Posted on Apr 9, 2023 1:06 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Apr 11, 2023 10:44 AM in response to mykolamor

Hello mykolamor,

Thanks for choosing the Apple Support Communities. We see you're trying to set up a VPN connection on your Mac. We have a great user guide for how to set up a VPN. Let's try following the steps below.

Set up a VPN connection on Mac - Apple Support

"Set up a VPN connection on Mac

To connect to a virtual private network (VPN), you need to enter configuration settings in Network settings. These settings include the VPN server address, account name, and any authentication settings, such as a password or a certificate.

Contact the network administrator for your organization or your VPN service provider for information about the settings you need to enter in order to connect to their VPN.

If you received a VPN settings file from your network administrator or VPN service provider, you can just double-click it to set up your connection. If you didn’t, you can enter the settings manually.

Enter VPN settings manually

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click VPN  in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.)
  2. Click Add VPN Configuration on the right, then choose the type of VPN connection you want to set up.
  3. Enter a name for the new VPN service in the Display Name field.
  4. If you’re setting up an L2TP over IPSec VPN, click the Configuration pop-up menu, then select a configuration.
  5. If you don’t need multiple configurations, just use the Default configuration.
  6. Enter settings for the new VPN service.
  7. Required settings vary by the type of VPN and may include settings such as server address, account name, password, and authentication method.
  8. If needed, enter additional settings.
    • L2TP over IPSec: You can enter settings for Options, TCP/IP, DNS, and Proxies.
    • Cisco IPSec or IKEv2: You can enter settings for DNS and Proxies.

9. Click Create."

"You can use the VPN status icon in the menu bar to connect to the network and switch between VPN services.

• L2TP is an extension of the Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol used by internet service providers to enable a VPN over the internet.
  • IPSec (Internet Protocol Security) is a set of security protocols.

• IKEv2 is a protocol that sets up a security association in IPSec.

See also

Change VPN settings on Mac"

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Apr 11, 2023 11:14 AM in response to mykolamor

Unless you're using a true VPN tunnel, such as between you and your employer's, school's or bank's servers, they provide false security from a privacy standpoint.  Read these two articles: Public VPN's are anything but private and Former Malware Distributor Kape Technologies Now Owns ExpressVPN, CyberGhost, Private Internet Access, Zenmate, and a Collection of VPN “Review” WebsitesThat being said one of the most respected contributors to these forums and a respected developer has said good things about NordVPN.  So it may be more secure than most of the other public VPNs.

Just some food for thought.

Can't create a new VPN configuration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.