You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there any fix for the Touch Bar flickering / flashing issue on MacBook Pro 13s?

There's a known issue with the 2018-2019 MacBook Pro 13 whereas the Touch Bar starts flickering or flashing nonstop for a period of time, usually after sleep mode. My laptop is gradually getting worse and worse. It's flashing for longer periods of time now to the point where I can't use it without covering the Touch Bar with black tape because it acts like a strobe light for 15 minutes. I've spent a long time searching the internet for help and I'm coming up empty.

Who else is having issues with the Touch Bar flickering/flashing? And more importantly, does anyone have a fix for this besides the only cost ineffective solution of replacing the hardware?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Apr 10, 2023 1:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2023 1:37 PM

Thanks for all the info. Unfortunately I've tried resetting both the SMC and NVRAM and neither one helped.

Everything I've read said this is a hardware issue known to Apple and they're making customers pay full price for a significant repair job (assuming it's past your warranty). I was hoping this isn't true but it sounds like it is.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 11, 2023 1:37 PM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks for all the info. Unfortunately I've tried resetting both the SMC and NVRAM and neither one helped.

Everything I've read said this is a hardware issue known to Apple and they're making customers pay full price for a significant repair job (assuming it's past your warranty). I was hoping this isn't true but it sounds like it is.

Apr 10, 2023 11:17 AM in response to Roberto2525

Roberto2525 wrote:

There's a known issue with the 2018-2019 MacBook Pro 13 whereas the Touch Bar starts flickering or flashing nonstop for a period of time, usually after sleep mode. My laptop is gradually getting worse and worse. It's flashing for longer periods of time now to the point where I can't use it without covering the Touch Bar with black tape because it acts like a strobe light for 15 minutes. I've spent a long time searching the internet for help and I'm coming up empty.

Who else is having issues with the Touch Bar flickering/flashing? And more importantly, does anyone have a fix for this besides the only cost ineffective solution of replacing the hardware?

Thanks!

For a software fix‚ both:

Try resetting the SMC Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Try resetting NVRAM/PRAM Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

If no resolve take it in for hardware issue—

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Is there any fix for the Touch Bar flickering / flashing issue on MacBook Pro 13s?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.